Avoid a rolling Flute disaster……

Avoid a rolling Flute disaster……

Sessions can be a problem for our Flutes put down on a table. Unlike a fiddle they are round and can roll off the table…. I’ve taken rawhide lace laced it around the Flute once with a Knot and it works perfect to avoid rolling off the table. looks kinda dorky , but it works!
BenS

Posted by .

Re: Avoid a rolling Flute disaster……

Good idea.

Posted by .

I don’t have this problem… oh yea — I have a keyed flute. :-)

So Jack, are you like most wooden fluters or do you use the keys for something other than an anti-roll device?
:o)

Posted .

Why do you think Irish fluters started using keyed flutes? It wasn’t so they could play Rimsky-Korsakov.

I have an ancient Bakelite Recorder that has flat surfaces on the back to stop this problem, unfortunately it’s a crap instrument, but it’s a good idea.
PP

Place a 35 kg anvil on top of the flute. That will stop it rolling off the table.

Adam the Blacksmith.

Buy a polymer flute and it can roll off as much as it likes. Luckily took the polymer rather than the wood one to a session last night. We had a man who decided to do a bodhran impression on the table top and over went all the drinks and they all rolled as well as the flute … great fun!

Sarah

Placing the flute between two full pints on the table works well, unless you leave one end hanging over the edge of the table that is …..