Do you still buy CDs?

Do you still buy CDs?

Do you still buy CDs?

Or just download individual tracks?

Cheers

Kess

Posted by .

Re: Do you still buy CDs?

I buy quite a few, but usually at gigs - I like to have the physical reminder that I’ve been to see the person/group.

The cd might only get one outing when I add it to iTunes, but I like the memento factor!

P

I buy CDs.

I buy CDs. When I’m impatient I buy digital music but even then I usually buy the whole album and not just a few tracks.

I do whatever is convenient. I have no preference because it will all end up on my iPod, anyway.

Posted by .

CDs? hell, I still buy vinyl

I do still, but I find that I don’t play even newly purchased ones much. I definitely prefer playing and/or listening to live music. And the vinyl collection sits and accumulates ( value I hope ) and dust.

I normally buy albums. I pretty much always listen to MP3s, and I’m very happy to buy digital albums instead of CDs — one less physical object to clutter up my already very cluttered house. (My wife, on the other hand, prefers to buy CDs.)

Very occasionally I will buy single tracks, if there’s something I’d like like to listen to but I don’t think I’d enjoy the entire album or I’m feeling especially broke.

you know, I never minded "paying for tunes I didn’t want" on a record (or CD or whatever kids listen to these days) . How do you know you don’t like them if you don’t take a listen to them? I might buy a record because it has a tune or a player on it that I like, but its all the other tunes I hadn’t heard that make buying the record worthwhile

I guess that’s just another one of the things I grew up with that folks ain’t got no time for these days

I buy albums faithfully. Matter of fact, I bought 3 this last week! Niall & Cillian Vallely’s "Callan Bridge" as was recommended by a member here, Mary MacNamara’s "The Blackberry Blossom", and Noel Hill’s "The Irish Concertina".

I buy all of my music from iTunes because they don’t sell much Irish music in the shops around here. The people at Barnes and Noble swear most of their nationally available products come from the same warehouse but when ordering music from them, traditional wise, they hardly ever have what I’m looking for. iTunes on the other hand seems to be gettin’ hip to trad, two of the albums I mentioned were released on iTunes recently.

They’re 15-30 years old, but I’m only hearing them for first times. I’ll be collecting albums for a while, there’s still a big new world out there. They’re 15-30 years old, but I’m only hearing them for first times. What’s old and played-out to you may be fresh and new to someone else!

Why I bought a CD by Nordic Fiddlers Bloc the other day, and Colin Farrell’s latest album as well.

I’m even what you might call "young". Heaven forbid!

I buy CDs. I just bought one at the fleadh, got one in the mail from Amazon, and put £20 towards the production of another on Fund It.

But I buy individual tracks too, sometimes, if I just want to learn a tune and don’t have a good definitive version of it.

I buy CDs. I haven’t figured out how to do all this mp3 stuff yet, and probably never will. While they have changed in size, music has come on discs my whole life, and I am too old to learn something new.

I’ve never bought a download - it’s like paying money for thin air. I like to spend money on actual things, like cds, sometimes new, sometimes from eBay. Last one was John McCusker "Goodnight Ginger" new, for £1.27 including postage. That’s cheaper than downloading isn’t it? A great cd, but apologies to John McCusker for his obvious lack of any profit on this purchase. I promise to buy a cd at a proper price from the venue next time I see him live. Of course I "rip" all my cds. Do "young folk" still use that terminology? I must ask Tøm next time I see him. My favoured program for listening to the 4 days, 8 hours, 24 minutes and 45 seconds of music I currently have on my computer is the audio library in AIMP3 because you can see and search the whole list in an uncluttered way. Windows Media Player is a nightmare now, and I avoid Apple products. I also convert YouTube clips to MP3s and add them (currently using http://peggo.co/ ). I also add sound files that can be downloaded from http://comhaltas.ie . What a wonderful resource that is.

I still buy them, and use them to save files to disc, I think they’re a great medium. I also buy downloads from overseas sites that will sell me a download.(I’m in Melbourne). It’s usually cheaper for me to buy a hardcopy CD from America than it is to download that CD from one of the big sites in Australia.

I hate them.

I haven’t owned a CD player for as long as I can remember.

If I have to buy something that isn’t available as a digital version then the first thing I do is take the cover off the computer, plug the power lead in to the horrible noisy old CD drive again….. and copy the CD to two separate hard drives. Then unplug the drive as soon as it’s done. I can’t stand having it plugged in all the time, it’s noisy, slow and uses power.

I think the reason I don’t like CDs is the fact they’re so fickle. You never know when it’s going to pick up a little scratch and suddenly start jumping or stuttering.

Having said all that, I still have thousands of classical music LP’s on vinyl AND I still buy several a week. I’m an absolute hoarder, I’ve got thousands and the vast majority I’ve never even played once. Again, I have all the same recordings in digital versions on my hard drive, they’re the ones I listen to.

I just love collecting the old vinyl versions for the sake of having them. Anything with an old Decca label or the lovely yellow Deutsche Grammophon label and I’m like a kid at Christmas.
And they often come with brilliant, extensive sleeve notes. In fact you can build a really nice library of classical music writings just from collecting all the sleeve notes.

"Then unplug the drive as soon as it’s done. I can’t stand having it plugged in all the time, it’s noisy, slow and uses power."

Of course, a new CD drive would solve this…

I have 1300 cds and still buying.

I buy CDs. I think it’s important to support musicians and I like to have the physical copy with the liner notes. I generally wait to buy CDs when we attend concerts or support fundraising campaigns. I always download them on my iTunes and save the autographed CDs so they don’t get scratched.

I want to hear all the tracks on the CD rather than download individual tracks, sometimes a track I (or my daughter) didn’t think was the best on the first hearing, turns out to be a favorite later on.

I went through the download phase a long time ago but prefer to have the liner notes to refer to as well as a physical backup - just in case.
The one thing I do is keep the CDs in a large multi-CD case instead of individual jewel cases. Those cases can really clutter a place.

Yes, equally along with downloads. In fact I just posted a request for new titles…Flute and Fiddle duos. Got some?

In the past year or so, I’ve transitioned from a combination of CD/download to mostly download. Part of it is cost—imported Irish trad CDs can be very pricey. Part of it is space—I don’t like clutter, and my house is on the small side. And while some trad recordings work well as ‘albums’ to listen straight through, listening on shuffle is often enjoyable.
Of course, now download sales are flagging as streaming becomes the listening method du jour, but I like curating my own music library too much.

I do both. I really like having the liner notes and a physical CD for use in the car, since my car is so old it doesn’t have a USB port. But I have many downloads as well, and before I travel, burn those to a physical CD for use on the road. The liner notes are important to me, and enhance my understanding of the tunes and the musician’s thoughts about the tunes. I dislike streaming, since I must be tethered to wifi in order to use it, and am too cheap to fork over the $$$$ for a huge data plan. Not really workable for travel.

Posted by .

I like to buy cd’s. I sure hope they don’t disappear any time soon. I’ve heard many a horror story from a friend who has lost all their music because their hard drive died, or they lost their Ipod. So far, even our 25 year old cd’s still play fine because they are well looked after and always returned to their cases.

I usually buy CDs. I buy books as well - proper ones with paper pages. If you leave a book on the train you can replace it for a few quid. If you put everything on an electronic gismo then you can lose your entire library and music collection along with your expensive gadget.

"Niall & Cillian Vallely’s "Callan Bridge" as was recommended by a member here, Mary MacNamara’s "The Blackberry Blossom", and Noel Hill’s "The Irish Concertina"…"

I love the first two, haven’t heard the third one. I also have Mary’s other album "Traditional Music From East Clare."
I buy both depending on the circumstances. I prefer CD with the liner notes (in spite of the bulk storage issue), but sometimes the download is much cheaper or CD is not available. I don’t play original CD’s in my cars, car CD players are notorious for skratching CD’s (been there done that). But I have everything backed up now. The CD’s are backed up on my computer, my computer is backed up on USB drive (which I can play in my car). (If I buy a download off Amazon it’s automatically copied to my Amazon cloud drive). They say CD is on the way out but if it is it’s dieing a slow death, as most anything I want is available on CD. You might not notice it, but you lose a little sound quality going from the CD’s format to the compressed MPEG usually used in computer devices. If you "rip" CD’s to your computer (in Window’s Media Player for example) you might want to change the setting to the highest quality, it’s usually defaulted to a medium quality to save drive space.

David E.

"CDs? hell, I still buy vinyl…"
Nate, after ignoring it for decades, I have bought some vinyl in the past few years, if it weren’t for the used vinyl market a lot of really good stuff would get lost forever. I convert these vinyls to MPEG and burn them to CD. Oddly enough, almost nothing in ITM (or other styles of music I like) that I have seen is in cassette format. Either not much was put on cassette, or perhaps it is because magnetic media is not fully archival, and the sound quality can deteriorate with age to some degree or other. I’ve seen this in many cassettes I own. Add to this: tape jamming and miss-tracking issues and cassettes might not make a good candidate for the used or second-hand market. Vinyl, if properly cared for, has a much longer lifespan.

David E.

Yes I still do.

Just some stats, in case anyone interested, from a recent project: We issued a CD of ancient Babylonian music (so not quite ITM!) in Dec 2014. Sales of CD album to date: about 950, paid downloads of the complete album: about 700, and streams (individual tracks for listening via soundcloud) were 950,000.

So that suggests CDs are very much not dead, IMO. The Sales were almost all by post, not at gigs, since we’ve only done one gig.