Oak tree 2

Re: Oak tree 2

Get a new violin, get some decent strings, put more rosin on your bow, start slurring, stop ignoring good advice given to you, start paying for lessons

…and you’ll be fine

Posted .

Just listened to all of the recordings you posted on your other thread and just listened to this one. You’re adding, and leaving out notes in several parts of your tunes, which is a perfect way to upset the rhythm. Adding and leaving out notes is a sign that you’re not able to recognize or correct your mistakes, because adding and leaving out notes is the most obvious mistake you can make.

I highly recommend getting yourself a teacher, at least until you understand rhythm and time enough to be able to recognize and correct your rhythmic mistakes.

One word: Phrasing.

Posted by .

Gotta love helping a beginner with the constructive criticism of a one-word response

What Jerone said. You mess up the B part (again) - sometimes it sounds like it’s in 7/8 and that means something is missing. Maybe you should alter the melody so you won’t trip. For instance, you could ignore the triplets (xxxx instead of xx 3xxx) , play two short notes instead of a long (or three instead of a super-long). What makes you trip is (your understanding of) the rhythm. Slow down even more if you have to. It may be boring as h*ll, but if that’s the only way to grasp things, go for it.

By the way, I still think you’re making progress!

Arthur is no beginer Sean, he is just hard headed. Sometimes tough love is the best love.

@Arthur, yes, there are some notes being dropped there, among other things. Are you reading from the music, of playing from memory?

Are you in the Midlands? Just a suggestion - Fiddle Hell 2015 is in Buxton, Derbyshire on 12/13/14 June. I’ll be there. If you could make it I could show you some stuff. The whole event is free, just pay for your beer.

Message me if you want.

No, Jim im in manchester. I missed it last year 🙂 or whenever it was here.

I guess i should start going to my session which is the best way to get hands on with expeirenced players but im far too self conscious after all the nitpicking given to me on this forum i feel id just stick out liek a sore thumb. I feel i should get rhythm right before i do.

Playing with other people would probably do you a world of good.

As a learning trad musician there really is no more valuable and necessarily humbling experience than trying to join in a (full pace) session from time to time. I try to do it as little but as often as possible.

The humbling thing is to play solo/record yourself and put it on youtube for scrutiny, not playing with a bunch of people in a session. That’s my opinion. (And as long as I know the tunes, I play better in sessions than on my own.)

He calls it nitpicking.

[The humbling thing is to play solo/record yourself and put it on youtube for scrutiny, not playing with a bunch of people in a session. That’s my opinion. (And as long as I know the tunes, I play better in sessions than on my own.)]

A good point.

It’s not very easy to get criticism on youtube because you have to get views to get comments. And A LOT of views. One of my youtube videos has over 8,000 views, and only 3 comments, one of them being my own.

Unless your video attracts a lot of attention the first few hours it’s up, it may not be seen much after the first day besides people that find it from the tag search.

Also, unless you’re posting covers of pop songs, cat videos, something politically/socially controversial, or comical news, you may not get the attention you need for the feedback you want.

[*I guess i should start going to my session which is the best way to get hands on with expeirenced players but im far too self conscious after all the nitpicking given to me on this forum i feel id just stick out liek a sore thumb. I feel i should get rhythm right before i do.*]

@Arthur, by all means, do. Also consider the Fiddle Hell - there are players there of all playing levels. You’d feel comfortable there. Some of the instructors there have endless patience (eg me) so I think you’d feel at ease.

Arthur- Take some Irish dance classes. Not only will it help you understand the rhythm of these dance tunes, but it might help you overcome your fear of women, too.

A good way to get more youtube views is to post on sites like fiddlehangout. In my experience I’v gotten lots of views posting on banjohangout.org. I would say a beginner session might be a good idea. Find some other beginners on the outskirts of the advanced session who look like they feel slightly uncomfortable and start playing with those people at a separate session. They are often the people that will be the most supportive and working with you, learning the tunes you like, etc. You could also try playing a different instrument to help you learn the tunes. Plectrum instruments like mandolin and banjo are easier to play in my opinion. With fiddle there is so much going on with just the technique alone before you can even worry about getting a tune out. The first time I picked up a fiddle I could barely play a scale without breaking out in a sweat because I was moving so much to make up for my lack of coordination with the bow. Plectrums you just grab the pick and pluck, that’s just my opinion. Once you get good enough to know how it feels to play the tunes well then you can pick up the fiddle and be in a position to actually judge your own playing better.

Picking is just about the only problem that poor guy isn’t having, Jeff.

Metronomes are cool.

The bottom line IMO is being able to play a tune 3 times through with no mistakes in rhythme and melody.Trying to ornament a tune that does not have this base line sorted is worse than useless, its actually a hinderance. Beyond this , the particular instrument has certain challanges that IMO are best approached in isolation, seperate from music making , they are simply issues of technical command, ie tone , intonation bowing etc etc . do all this work IMo with pre-tunes ; scales arpeggio bowing exercises whatever. That way , when you approach music there are no technical complications getting in the way of your personal expression. Music is inspiration , art , technique is merely how we go about it. Before painting a masterpiece first you need to learn to use a brush etc .
Irish trad is like a language , you need to listen to how its spoken , no ifs and buts. Learning an instrument is not learning a language , its learning to speak, how to form sounds. This is where you are at. the mechanics of the instrument and the mechanics of particular sounds the language uses. get these sorted and then actually speaking will be far easier.

Get the ball over the net in other words, untill this is accomplished easily and regularily there is no point in trying to join in with people playing a game. ie sessions. People want a short cut , if there is , then its following my advice here above. Ive been there and done it so many times from both sides of the field . If you want to play with even medium level players you need to understand the rules and actually be able to walk let alone run…. At the moment its like your falling over , still learning to walk.
I recomend visualisation, picture yourself as an accomplished fiddler, as you listen to Bobby Casey imagine thtas you 20 yrs down the line. feel it, believe it, now all you need to do is match your vision with action to achieve. yr doing well keep at it.