Help

Help

Can some one tell me what B6 and A2 means when writing down music .Is it a timing thing.

Re: Help

Are you talking about in ABC? In ABC the number is the duration, so you would play the B for three times the length you would play the A.

It could also be the octave number C4 being middle C but I doubt it would be written down for a tune like that.

If written above a score B6 could be a chord but instead of A2 I would expect A add2 or perhaps A sus2.

Where, and on what, were they written?

Hi Scutcher

OK I’ve read it. Plenty of A2s which refer to an A note in a specific octave. No B6s that I can see.

Oops just seen it. So the B is the note and the 6 is a dotted minim or half note.

Yeah, the number means the length/duration (as specified by the "L:" field), so if the default note length is 1/8, then B6 means a B which lasts six times as long, i.e. a whole measure if you’re playing a waltz (the linked example). It’s really handy for notating tunes in straight-forward rhythms: G2BG cGBG , FAA dAA etc.

Assuming that we are talking about ABC notation (the method used for posting tunes to session.org) :

- The letter donates the pitch of the note,
- The number denotes the duration of the note.

So, in the example cited, "B" would be the note "B" on the middle line of the treble clef and "A" would be the note "A" in the second space up from the bottom of the treble clef.

The number is dependant on the default note length as specified in the ABC header, which is standardised on session.org as L:1/8 (which equals one quaver).

So, in the example cited (assuming a default length of 1/8), "6" = 6 quavers = one dotted minim and "2" = 2 quavers = one crotchet.

Ronald its on the ( tune id ) thread by jeff lindqvist on the discussion forum