Scottish slow session, central London

Scottish slow session, central London

Not submitting this as a regular session as the venue is currently my flat, for now!

The aim is to run it approximately fortnightly as a class/session and build up a repertoire. I will be teaching tunes by ear and others are welcome to teach tunes as well. The location is a few minutes from Elephant & Castle tube (address is on the web page). No charges at the moment, and not unless we ever need to pay for a venue or something.

I’d also appreciate any marketing suggestions - I get the impression that there are a lot of potentially interested people who I don’t have any means of contacting! Thoughts welcome :)

Posted by .

Re: Scottish slow session, central London

Web page? I don’t see any link ?

Good luck with the group, and have fun! I’m across the pond, so can’t attend, but it sounds great.

Word of mouth is probably one of the best ways to drum up interest. We started a Scottish session based on experience at Irish sessions, and expanded reach by continuing to meet people among the Irish music community. Since Scottish session culture isn’t really widespread in the U.S., a lot of musicians who are interested in STM come to ITM sessions as a close-as-possible proxy. I don’t know if that’s the case in London since there’s so much more Scottish culture. While at Irish sessions, I try to inject a well-known Scottish tune or song here or there and, when questions come up, mention our monthly Scottish sessions.

Also, you can reach out through attending Scottish country dances, ceili[dh]s, highland games, and festivals with a mind to share information about the session. There will be musicians all around — you just have to find them and get their contact info! You’re starting small, running it out of your flat, so you don’t have much to lose by building it slowly.

Congratulations on the session.

There is a great slow session in Melbourne, Australia, the McDonnell Slow Sessions.

The website is very informative and may provide a few ideas :

Link to website : http://irishsession.net

Well done, Calum, for this initiative, and the best of luck.

I have put together a suggested repertoire for a Scottish session at

http://www.nigelgatherer.com/sess/sss-rep1.html

Many of tunes are available to download in various formats - for free - and if that helps, I’d be delighted.

Some of the tunes in my list are Irish, but they happen to be tunes which I’ve heard many times in Scottish sessions. Within my lifetime, the session scene has changed quite a bit here; at one time you’d be hard pressed to hear many Scots tunes in amongst the majority of Irish. Now, there are loads of sessions at which you’re likely to hear mostly Scottish music, which for me and others who have worked hard to enable this change, is wonderful.

Many thanks all - especially for the very helpful links.

Nigel, I had already been checking your pages out for a few ideas! (I’m the same Calum who attended your SMG slow session class in, what, 2009/10…doesn’t seem that long ago!)

Posted by .