What parts of the body does playing tunes effect?

What parts of the body does playing tunes effect?

Probably most parts. Just to name a few the inner ear, cardiovascular (pulse rate, blood pressure), central nervous system (serotonin & dopamine receptors). What else?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWJrq58OUYk

Posted by .

Re: What parts of the body does playing tunes effect?

MCC (Muso-cerebral cortex), and equally all parts downstream?

Pinky toe , Especially when tapping one’s foot!

What????

None for me but my wife and kids say it’s their ears and their sanity

Yeah.. reilly67..so true!

Directly effect? Only the brain. The brain receives the stimulus and sends a response wherever it chooses through whatever neural pathways it has available. The autonomic nervous lacks the receptors, so does muscle fiber. It’s romantic, maybe emotionally satisfying to see the response our bodies have to the music that’s all around us. That said, it all has to be processed through that wonderful organ between our ears where everything our senses give us must pass. Without the brain the rest of the body just "lays there". With it there’s no telling where music ( or art) can take us.

A well played air can bring tears to one’s eyes.

A badly played air can also cause tears - although for different reasons

Jim Dorans, pretty much so. Playing tunes can stimulate the McC & it doesn’t have to stop there.

Numis, that’s one of those ‘downstream’ parts? ~ pinky toe that is.

Reilly67, don’t let them bother you, most likely they’re totally insane. 😉

Ross, that is a powerful contrast, "Without the brain the rest of the body just ‘lays there’.
With it there’s no telling where music (or art) can take us." Cheers!

AlBrown, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF3fW4Nox9U

Fiddler3, too true. 🙁

Posted by .

Ross - my whole body moves.

Preference for the micro mechanics, as the superior explanation, frequently gives a daft way of explaining the world around us.

When people go to a nightclub they dance because the music had such an effect on them- this is not false just because there were almost countless intermediary stages.

By your own logic - it didn’t affect the brain- it only affected the ear drum… The brain can’t make sense of vibrating air…

You see how silly and useless reductive explanations become in many situations… it really misses the point!

Music makes people’s heart race, their tears flow and their faces smile. Discounting the big picture doesn’t really bring more understanding.

Sorry - I’m quite against the logic of treating reductive explanations as the best way of looking at something. 🙂

Of course music has the capacity to draw emotional and physical responses. And, yes the eardrum is the receptor. Still only the brain can can make sense of what the timpanic membrane sends it. That primal thumping in your chest doesn’t mean or do anything unless it’s filtered by your brain. It’s only years of experience and education caring for mostly children who by accident of birth, disease, or tragedy have little or no brain function beyond the brain stem that informs my view. Music without being processed by the brain has no impact on physiology. As I said, it’s a romantic notion to think otherwise…a fantasy. It’s just not real. Some may chose to believe otherwise, but a lot of people believe a lot of things. May your view of the way the world works make you happy (no sarcasm, I do wish you well).

"Treating Stress, Speech Disorders With Music"
[audio & transcript]
http://www.npr.org/2011/12/16/143847285/treating-stress-speech-disorders-with-music

"FLATOW: This is SCIENCE FRIDAY. I’m Ira Flatow. We’re talking this hour about music to treat anxiety, pain,
movement disorders, more with my guests Oliver Sacks, physician and professor of neurology and psychiatry
at Columbia University Medical Center in New York; Connie Tomaino, executive director and co-founder of the
Institute for Music and Neurological Function at the Beth Abraham Family of Health Services in the Bronx; and
Joke Bradt, she is associate professor in creative arts therapies in the department - assistant professor in the
Creative Arts Therapies Department at Drexel University in Philadelphia; Andrew Rossetti,
music therapist in the Radiation Oncology Department at Beth Israel Medical Center."

Posted by .

Maybe easier to count the parts it doesn’t affect?
Um…hair?
Naah…there’s that hair standing on end effect…

Re: What parts of the body does playing tunes affect?

Diane, that’s a perfect example of why I asked about "playing tunes" as opposed to listening to a recording. With live music our bodies are affected* and not only by sounds sensed through one’s ears. Playing an instrument, or being there with the music, our sense of touch can pick up on additional vibrations. &, yes, our hairy bits play a part in this full body sensation, experience of music.

* Cheers, Ms. Lovejoy ;)

Posted by .

I wish The Session had a "Like" button.

Playing tunes can effect all sorts of objects. 😉

Liver, mostly.

:(

What to do about that? I like to think playing tunes is healthy, & it is, but we humans are not always mindful of maintaining our parts in their own best interest. Only the tunes are persistent, they’ll outlive us all; not so the liver, pancreas, kidneys, heart, nor the mind. Put the tunes first because you may not be here tomorrow. The tunes are brilliant in their resilience; learn from them.

Live long & prosper.

Posted by .

There is recent research which shows that playing music basically makes every part of the brain work.

http://beforeitsnews.com/global-unrest/2014/11/new-study-shows-music-causes-fireworks-in-your-brain-2461436.html

We could now say the following with near certainty: the best way to stay both happy and healthy at any (but esp old) age is to have

— lots of real-time, face to face conversation with people we care about
— a lot of moderate exercise (including some load bearing)
— playing music
— avoiding smoking
— beer and wine are FINE.

Musicians are prone to repetitive stress injuries. Many of them are specific to the instrument. Fiddlers, for example, can get wrist and shoulder problems.

For many of us, sitting around playing tunes can make your butt get bigger.

Posted by .

Honey, does this fiddle make my butt look big?

Posted by .

Not sure about butt, but gut probably.

(gut as in belly, in case it does not translate)

@AB Steen… thanks for the um, belly laugh!

@rosemarie, "like" button, yes!

@chris stoltz when this article (video) came out, it was quickly a favorite among music teachers. We may not have known about all that neural firing, but it’s long known that kids who are raised up playing an instrument and being involved in all the (orchestra, band) social stuff with it do better in everything academically and socially.

I will assume the same for any musical genre - just look how great we all grew up! ;)