For serious ‘Fiddleheads’ -- A site for sore eyes!

For serious ‘Fiddleheads’ -- A site for sore eyes!

As I am now entering the twilight of my years, I think it would be fitting to start dispersing my collection of fiddles -- over forty years of procuring, repairing and maintaining. And so, I made a website whose homepage features eleven absolutely authentic antiquities, each of which springs onto its own dedicated page. I invite those interested -- neophytes as well as cognoscenti to comment, provide correction or direction, or just ask a question. Hopefully, I’ll have the time to respond meaningfully to those who do.
At the bottom of the home page are links to six fiddles currently being offered on Ebay, all save one have 14 day trials. Please pardon my errors as I will be combing the pages over later as time permits. http://stnichsigns.com/Makers’Orphans.html
I will be adding and relisting in the future as time permits at the bottom of the home page as seen right now.

Posted by .

Re: For serious ‘Fiddleheads’ -- A site for sore eyes!

Do you have any fiddles or bows used by any of the Masters of the Padraig O’Keefe and the Sliabh Luachra Tradition (with documentation).

Great collection! Some lovely fiddles in there.
Private email sent to you.

Lovely fiddles indeed! Any chance for short sound snippets on your website?
Your presentation is excellent… I’m just wanting some ear candy too. 🙂

For Tom Connelly -- No Tom, in fact, I don’t even know anything about those whom you’ve mentioned.

Posted by .

For Diane -- Sorry, I have no candy at this time. Hopefully in the future - far future I’m afraid

Posted by .

Hi hauke,

I looked at all of the fiddles, including the ones for sale on eBay.

My thoughts on the Tyrolean (5th pic on the main page) - on the “Sound and Playability” - I’m reading between the lines and thinking (if not suited to double stops), then a bit of a “howler”. Have you considered fitting some low-tension strings like Corelli Crystals to sweeten up the sound a bit?

Also, my general thoughts on seeing most of the fiddles - they have a set of bolt-on tuners at the tailpiece end. Have you considered removing them (except for the E-string) ? Many people would expect to be able to tune from the pegs in standard violin fashion. Or, even use an integrated tailpiece, which would work out being a lot lighter? I think it would improve the tone.

Certainly, on the Friedrich Glass violin at $5,200, I’d be expecting to be able to tune perfectly from the pegs.

Just my thoughts, and wishing you good luck in your sales and endeavours 🙂

Jim, Hauke, I was thinking the same about integrated tailpieces. They are lighter (the newer ones are, especially) and I have been swapping out the old for the new for a few years.

Jim, even on the more expensive instruments they are very useful for slight and quick adjustments and less stress on the strings. 🙂