Places to stay near Milwaulkee?

Places to stay near Milwaulkee?

We’re going out to Milwaulkee this August for the Irish summer school. Can anyone here suggest good (cheap) places to stay that are near enough to the campus? We’ll be driving so we’ll have a car to get around. Maybe we’ll see some of you there? James Kelly is teaching fiddle this year.

Posted by .

Re: Places to stay near Milwaulkee?

You’ll have great fun at the festival; I’ve been a few times and had a ball. Although I’ve not been to the classes, I’ve heard they are very high quality. As for lodging, I’ve no good suggestions to offer. We always had difficulty finding reasonably priced digs — and the hotels/ motels fill up quickly (sometimes a year or more in advance). So my best advice is to hurry up and reserve a room somewhere, and if you find a better deal later, cancel the first reservation.

Posted by .

I wish I could offer space in my apartment as I live in Milwaukee, but I only have 1 bedroom and NO air conditioning(needed). Rather uncomfortable at that time of year. Email me. I’ll look into rooms and do what I can to help. As you will have wheels, it shouldn’t present too much of a problem. If enough people from here need assistance, perhaps I can book a block of rooms and get a better rate.

Deb.

Can someone post a link for the festival. Sounds like I might want to visit. Thanks, Mark

There is a youth hostel in Milwaukee (last I checked). My first Irish Fest (1995) I stayed there. Pretty spartan (big dorm rooms, and somehow a woman ended up in ours, which made dressing an interesting experience), but it will do it you are not picky, and dirt cheap. www.hiayh.org

Posted by .

For the summer school week before the festival you can get lodging in the dorms at UWM. From the brochure:

"HOUSING
Participants are responsible for making their
own arrangements. Call UWM Conference
Housing at (414) 229-4068 for information on
dorm room space and parking availability."

http://www.irishfest.com/summerschool/IFSS_2004_W0513.pdf