this feeble highway……….

this feeble highway……….

..made two times more feeble by my own inptitude. Damn this keyboard. we are all musicians, that much is sure. we are all passionate, that much is likely. Imagine a session with zina and joyce and dow and losrd oflies and ottery, michael gill, rockingbow, will, grego,and etc etc,,,,,where we are all there IN PERSON.not contstrined (our musicianship constsrained) by this fecking cyberthing…gaaaaaaaaaaa

Oh! Er, the question is: How has the internet (and this website) affected you?

My own answer is: it makes me Think about my musicanship….
…an’ ferget the cute answers like:
"It has made my workday at th’ office more bearable" or, " it’sbetter than watching tv

i am looking for babel fish type responses. I lng for capules of wisdom and grpple with linear versus cyclic explanations of our reality. Material existence.tha’s whut i’m after, after all//

long post. read through, love you

Re: this feeble highway……….

The aliens "have" landed we are NOT alone . . "I" am not alone. I just like talking about music and this web site does that.Where I live, most of the people you see and talk to in pubs only want to talk about bloody football or work or moan and groan about how much this costs or that costs etc etc etc and add infinitem. I on the other hand only want to talk about music . . uhm I suppose that means I’m just as boring as "them lot" . .

Pass that joint round this way vboyd. Looks like it’s good stuff.

Some of us London heads have already met up and played together. Some of the yanks have been this side of the pond and this sweaty will be over your side soon.

There’s an old saying "If dogs could talk, they wouldn’t make such good friends". Well, I suppose we can talk here but would we get on so well and have as much to say if we ever met up? Quite possibly, we might eventually, but I’d imagine that the dynamics, alliances etc of our relationships could be different in real life.

Yes John, but in my case, our relationships wouldn’t exist at all.

Not heard that expression before, its a good one.

I’ve met people from the site since logging on and it’s been great.
Other times, it has been a way of getting in touch with live session members when there was no other means.
And it’s great to communicate with like minded people - my close friends don’t have any interest in playing or listening to Irish music. So many eyes glaze over when I try to talk about it.
The occasional hilarious post is worth it too.
Catherine

Posted by .

CATH! This is a serious musicians’ site. NO LAUGHING!
You know some dogs can do cartwheels.

Joe

Joe, my cats do cartwheels down the stairs. Not always on purpose…
Good point, John. I would probably have kicked my cats out long ago if we had to have daily conversations. Selfish little louts. But the internet is a filter, sort of like a reading a novel. Characters develop over time, little sub-plots unfold. And I get all of this great food for thought
Michele

thx, yes, i guess its the same for most of us, our interest in music, more specifically this kind of music, is a fairly specialized interest.. there might be one person in a thousand, so the internet provides access oh um yes! uh webs, networks uh communicates.
but remeber lotf’s (Danny’s) discussion about the irony in the medium: as it knits together relationships so also it destroys others.. this is true.. just last night as i was carrying on with Dow (Mark), pete comes to the computer at 3;30 am saying ahem! ahem! it’s three thirty a. m.

..stewpot’s point about ‘us" being as boring as ‘them’ is good.. my sister is passionate about golf.. she does it every day she has off from work. I used to think it was a waste of time, until i realized it was her art and expression, her thing she wants to perfect…

um, her obsession.. ha.. the word ‘session’ is in the word ‘obsession’

I ended up here one day when I was looking for a tune. I’m finding an education. I wish some of you guys were closer to my stompin grounds.

I ended up here looking for a tune, too.

The site helps to constantly reinforce my enthusiasm for this stuff. It’s difficult for me to get to sessions and getting just five minutes of uninterrupted prac time with my "fisddle" some days is a matter of bloodshed, so every little bit helps.

Oh, and it makes my workday at th’office more bearable :o)

Posted by .

Most of my friends can’t understand why I like this type of music so much. I mean, I do like other types of music, but this is my favourite. My friends seem to think that going to a concert is way better than going to a session and joining in the music. Not that I have anything against concerts, I just find sessions more fun: -)

Greetings in the precious name of Jesus Christ who has predestined us into his forthcoming reign of glory.
Brother Boyd there are many on this site in need of the Lords redemption. As a humble servant of the almighty it is my job help them unlock themselves from mental slavery, and see the pure light of true knowledge.
Praise the Lord!!!
And pass the Recorder

now there’s a babel of indeed.. i am becoming confused, looking for the light and whirling around ddervishly, uh no,woops wrong prophet, i mean bowing down gracefully

I ended up here looking for a tune. If I keep coming back, pretty soon I’ll end up looking for a job.

Posted by .

…because you’re doing everything EXCEPT dealing with the job at hand, right?

Greg, i get the distinct impression that Dow (Mark)spends his entire working day perusing this site. And gets paid, the clever bstrd!

Haha let’s see if he finds this post.

Found it! Well, my working day at the moment consists of marking exam papers and entering the grades into a spreadsheet on my PC, so this last week I’ve spent heaps of time here because I’m SO BORED! Thanks to Jeremy for providing me with a displacement activity.

Since finding this site I log on first thing in the morning and again at night when my daily oglibations have been met. I find brief solace and respite from the daily tribulations that have plagued me since Feb 21st of last year. To add insult to injury, this monday my garden is getting bulldozed.
*sigh* :-( Don’t mind me. I’ll get over it. I needed to vent and this seemed like a good place to do it. Kate

Weeell - I’ve only been online at all since January. It has changed my life quite a bit with regard to my other interest, which is natural horsemanship, as I’ve managed to use it as a force for meeting real paople IN PERSON who live near me and share my interests. That has been great.
Interestingly, it hasn’t been the case with music, but I don’t think I’d blame this site. I probably knew a lot more musicians in the first place, for one thing. Besides, this website is called The Session, not "The Website for Grumpy Gits Who Find Big Roaring Somewhat Eclectic Sessions Not Their Thing"

Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy talking to you all, but I’ve yet to convince myself that I wish to enter the fray again. And since, at least so far, I haven’t met any like minded locals who want to get together here, I’m not sure it’s changed my life at all.

Posted by .

Nicely summed-up Kris.
PP

your garden is getting bulldozed? ouch, that is really sad! i am so sorry, kate. I have the impression you really get a lot of satisfaction and peace out of your garden. I do also, and sent my most heartfelt sypmpathies.Can you at least save some palnts at all. Do you (um did you) have both veggies and flowers? bushes? herbs?