Coin percussion

Coin percussion

In 1980, I went for the first time in Ireland and I greatly enjoyed attending music sessions. Once, at O’Donoghue’s, Merrion Row, Dublin, a nice old man standing at the bar took 3 or 4 coins out of his pocket, set them – in a row, half of each coin covering half of the next one – in his left hand, and hit the coins with 3 fingers (more or less as one does on a table when nervous).
I clearly remember that his participation to the session had been highly appreciated. I have never seen this again.
Have you ever heard of this kind of percussion ? Is that common or rare ? Typical Irish ? Forgotten today ?
Are there other “special” types of percussion (except spoons, we all know this type, don’t we) ? Which ones ?

Posted by .

Re: Coin percussion

I have heard of and seen this type of percussion, during the late 70’s/early 80’s. I like to think, it was a forerunner to the bodhran. It is rare enough, these days.

"It is rare enough, these days."

Few people can afford it these days.

Moxhe…
I Like this Idea, of < Coin’s set in a row, half of each coin covering half of the next one > etc..
Must remember that, for Billy Andy’s… As there is always a lot of shrapnel left over at
the end of the session 🙂
But I suppose it’s like all percussion, if it’s played well, and not to loud, it’s Brilliant .
f4
PS-
Billy Andy’s, I’m the Fiddler with the Check shirt, and ‘No’ Hair 😉
https://vimeo.com/62579579

At the Catskills Irish Week some years ago, and older gentleman showed me how to put quarters between my fingers, and play percussion on my pint. He also showed me how to do it on the bar, but was nice enough to ask the publican if he minded first, since it wasn’t easy on the wood. He did warn me that bringing that percussion technique to a session might not be universally appreciated. But he did a heck of a job of it.

Saw, many times, the potman in The Favourite, Finsbury Park play a pint glass with a thrupenny bit!