Music this bank holiday weekend?

Music this bank holiday weekend?

Just had a look at the Events section and I don’t see much on this weekend, any suggestions where I can get my session fix Friday - Sunday? Thanks

Re: Music this bank holiday weekend?

You have to give an idea of where you are located.

is there a holiday this weekend? what country do I need to immigrate to in order to have Friday off this week? ….yikes, that’s tomorrow…better get my VISA stamped and board the steamship this afternoon!

Yup, bank holiday in Ireland this coming Monday 🙂 Friday isn’t officially a day off but some of use smart cookies have booked it off work to get a nice long weekend. I need it to recover after the debauchery in Drumshanbo last week.

I’m in the south east, but will travel, all suggestions considered.

so what holiday is being celebrated?

South East Asia? South East Australia? England? Ireland? Mongolia? Come on, give us a clue.

Don’t forget NYC, Mark. Since you are listing countries.

"so what holiday is being celebrated?"
Lughnasadh will do. How about a walk up Croagh Patrick?

Monday is a Bank Holiday in Scotland as well as Ireland.

This is a gentle reminder that this forum is international.
Please remember that many things you regard as universal are purely local; bank holidays, session etiquette, even the location of Jersey; all these items are debatable and depend on where you are starting from.

Yes, it helps to be specific. I often post that I live in the "Pacific Northwest," which means something to those of us who live in the USA and Canada. But from a broader perspective, it could just as easily mean Japan!

I don’t know what the big fuss is. I live in Jersey and there’s only a bit of a drive and some water to cross before I get to one of my favorite sessions in Bristol.

Does it really need to be spelled out that Bristol is in Pennsylvania and New Jersey is locally known as simply Jersey?

It seems this forum has more "international" users than actual Irish users based on the responses here. A reminder that this site has international users is not necessary, people in Ireland know there is a bank holiday here this weekend, people in other countries should know if there is a "bank holiday" in their countries or not.

Thanks for the suggestion Kenny

"people in Ireland know there is a bank holiday here this weekend, people in other countries should know if there is a "bank holiday" in their countries or not."

I’m sure most people know whether there is a bank holiday in their own country or not. But that doesn’t help us guess where you are, there is a bank holiday in a number of countries this Monday.

There are 20 sessions and a bank holiday in Victoria, Australia this weekend, and Lord knows how many sessions in Scotland, where there is also a bank holiday. Would it really be so difficult to tell people where you are?

Some clarification, Mark. There is no holiday this weekend in Victoria , Australia, the next public holiday will be on Grand Final Eve( football) in two months. In fact we don’t have a bank holiday at all in Victoria. I’m certainly not aware of there being anything like 20 sessions in Victoria this weekend. I would have guessed about 5?

In Australia we call them public holidays, is that what Ireland or England refer to as bank holidays?

My mistake. It’s NSW that has a bank holiday on Monday, not Victoria.

NSW? Oh you mean south east?

If you are asking for people to help you, as the OP was, it is only right to give enough information so that people don’t waste their own time in replying.

Saying "well they should know what I was talking about" is no sort of answer. Nul points!

If a member’s (true) location was included in their member profile, it would make things a lot easier.

You know, here in America, we don’t have "Bank holidays". The holiday has to commemorate something. We call some of the secondary holidays "bank holidays" because only banks and the government workers have the day off, but the actual day will be commemorating something.

So when I asked what holiday was being celebrated, I was wondering if it was Rememberence Day or St Swithins Day or something like that. I was just curious about holidays in another land.

So I looked it up and it seems that we are celebrating the feast of the August Bank Holiday

Sean Mag Aonghusa: "Does it really need to be spelled out that Bristol is in Pennsylvania and New Jersey is locally known as simply Jersey?"

Yes.

Bristol (in the UK) has existed for at least 1000 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol

Rather longer than Bristol, Pennsylvania …

Bristol?

Mix O’Lydian, that’s reasonable except it ignores the full context in which the original question was framed.

Posted by .

@AB Steen. I was responding to a statement made by one of the contributors, rather than to the ambiguous question posed by the OP. That often happens in discussions here.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, Mix O’Lydian. I assumed you were referring to this contribution specifically;

"I don’t know what the big fuss is. I live in Jersey and there’s only a bit of a drive and some water to cross before I get to one of my favorite sessions in Bristol.

Does it really need to be spelled out that Bristol is in Pennsylvania and New Jersey is locally known as simply Jersey?"
# Posted by Sean Mag Aonghusa 2 days ago.

Posted by .

No problems, AB Steen. Glad we cleared that one up!

P.S. If you’re ever in Jersey (one of the Channel Islands) you can take a boat trip to Engand from that island then drive to Bristol (UK) and play in one of our local sessions. 😉

Well, I live in Scotland and I did not know there was a bank holiday. So there you go.

How hard is it to say, "Music in Ireland this bank holiday weekend?" Sheesh.

Thinking ahead, is there any music in Jersey or Bristol next bank holiday? 😲

Posted by .

There might be some music in Guernsey……check the Guernsey Folk Club website. That’s the August Bank Holiday, I take it you mean - Monday 31st ?