session recommendations for Galway

session recommendations for Galway

Planning to go to the Tuam Trad festival…and seeking interesting sessions near Ennis, Galway or environs: ones that welcome participation by courteous and competent visitors. Thanks!

Re: session recommendations for Galway

Well, Sir James can come to my house, but I recommend he stay out of the pubs. 🙂

Posted by .

Hi Susan! Missed you and John at the old Buzzard yesterday. It’s been a few years but back in 2011 Michael Chang (native of Shoreline, County King and now resident in Galway) recommended sessions he regularly attends at the Crane Bar on Saturdays at 10 pm and Taaffes Bar on Saturdays at 5:30 as being definitely welcoming to competent visitors. I visited both and had a grand time. He also suggested sessions at 6:30 and 10 pm at Tigh Cioli but I didn’t have time to check that one out. The website for Taaffes does specifically say that visitors can join in.

Ming

Theres a nice sesson in Dominic Street in the Irish speaking club almost every night.. .cant remember its name, maybe someone here will know.

Galway City used to be full of sessions 20 years ago when I lived there, probably around 10 nightly now there’s only about 3 in the city centre at weekends, as far as I could see.

Posted by .

Last time I was in Galway the session at Tig Coili had Lunasa’s Sean Smyth and De Danann’s Ringo McDonagh. Made my day.

Thanks,all! Went to doolin and ennis for the plentiful sessions…knoxs, faddas,..etc in ennis were grand. And McGanns in doolin warm and welcoming