Fleadh Tunes

Fleadh Tunes

Im going to enter the fleadh again next year but i have absolutely no idea what to play this time around. Want tunes that have space for ornamentation

Re: Fleadh Tunes

You’re starting early - a full year! 🙂 Doesn’t the usual advice apply. Pick tunes that you know well, that you like and which are not too hackneyed. Listen to different people play the tune on varying instruments. Most tunes are open to varying amounts of ‘ornamentation’ - it’s just how you to choose to present them.

Posted .

Jeff Lindqvist suggests playing any standard reel transposed down one step (Am->Gm, Em->Dm, G->F, D->C etc. which I think is just brilliant. For inspiration, listen to Kathleen Collins playing The Star of Munster in Gm.

Thanks for the support Joe! :D

Im kind of looking for suggestions… Dont know where to start

Im looking ones that will sound nice on banjo too!!!

That’s what “Ralex” and I are suggesting.

Posted by .

It sounds like you played this year - if so, what tunes did you play, did anything go wrong, and if so, what? I think your teacher (if you have one) should be able to suggest tunes at your level.

Charlie Lennon’s #4 and The Return To Miltown are good tunes. I’ve learned them from the Session of the century !

Posted by .

For possible tunes you can download the SCT exam from Comhaltas’ website.
https://comhaltas.ie/press_room/detail/sct_syllabus/
Tunes are ranked by elementary, junior and senior levels to give you an idea of what they are looking for. There are also albums suggested at the end of the syllabus.
You can also go to the Comhaltas site and review videos to see who won and what they were playing. Although they tend to favor fiddle and button accordion competitions.

“I’m looking for tunes that will sound nice on banjo, too.”

Well, you’ve got me stumped, I’m afraid.

This past regional fleadh I went to, I played The Handsome Young Maidens for the flute section, then promptly found the winner of the fiddle section competing with it. It’s a grand tune with nice room for variation. It served both of us well. Worth a look.