flutes for tropical Australia climate

flutes for tropical Australia climate

I live in northern Australia where it is quite tropical. I have been playing whistle for a number of years and am keen to venture into flute playing. I have a silver flute but the sound of the wooden flute is amazing.
which flute would be best for this climate?

Posted by .

Re: flutes for tropical Australia climate

Northern Australia is a very big and climatically varied place. Where exactly do you live? I lived mainly in Townsville for 20 year or so and I never had any troubles with flutes or whistles, even the wooden ones. The climate there was more humid and I think it’s the dryness that’s the problem (open for discussion). I just kept my wooden things oiled (with flax oil) and as with all my other instruments, kept them in as comfortable place as I could find. In my opinion it’s the air conditioning you have to watch. I now live down in Victoria where the temperatures far more variable and extreme in both directions and along with the dryness I find this of more concern than living in the tropics. This is especially as I have just bought a superb wooden Low D whistle from Garvie bagpipes in Scotland, Accordingly I have built myself a well insulated room with individually insulated compartments for all my instruments, and I keep well watered plants in there to maintain the humidity, which I monitor. I reckon that if I am comfortable in there, then so are all my babies.

Posted by .

What Gobby said. As long as a wooden flute is dried out after playing, oiled once in a while, and not left in the hot sun, particularly a car in the sun, it should be fine in tropical Australia. A lot of wooden flutes are made of African blackwood, a tropical timber. Delrin flutes can sound great as well.

Posted by .

Australian timber flute Flute maker and technical wooden flute expert flute maker Terry McGee would be the person to get in contact with. His URL is http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/

Or you could send Terry a personal contact through his profile page on this site! I’m not at all sure though, that a flute being made of Australian timber would necessarily make any difference to an answer for your question.

Posted by .

Thanks for your comments… interesting the dryness is the issue. I’m sure you’re right. I was so focused on the humidity I didn’t consider that.

Posted by .

If you are living in a tropical or subtropical climate there is only really one way to go and that is use a modern material like Delrin. If Delrin was available in the 1800s they certainly would not have used hard woods. It’s a more stable than the wood, totally moisture resistant and has good uniformity. Nearly all wooden flutes eventually crack or distort somewhere. Another bonus is, forget all that swabbing out and oiling, as it’s not necessary. As for tone, most people will not be able to tell the difference, if at all.