The Wheels of the World: 300 Years of Irish Piping

Re: The Wheels of the World: 300 Years of Irish Piping

Peggy Seeger and Bob Davenport, two people who are experts on Uilleann pipes.
Thankyou a must buy.

Dick, if you’d bothered to check the links more assiduously, you would have realized that this is a book about piping *and* pipers, so it contains plenty of anecdotes - which is where people like Davenport come in. See http://thewheelsoftheworld.com/extracts.html?exttab=1.

I’ve ordered my copy and am looking forward to reading it.

Posted by .

Addendum.

Of course, I didn’t help matters by not getting the book’s title right!

It is ‘The Wheels of the World: 300 Years of Irish Uilleann Pipers’.

Apologies.

Posted by .

Thanks for posting, Scutcher. Ordered it.

I have always had trouble with "The Wheels of the World". It doesn’t & hasn’t made any sense. I though the correct title was "The Weal of the World". What say you???

I quibble with the title. Uilleann pipes as we know them are (probably) at most about 250, maybe 260 years old.

There’s not much evidence to work with, admittedly, but the evidence that does exist strongly suggests the Irish/Union Pipes (later "Uilleann Pipes" post-Gaelic revival) emergence occurring around 1770 and not much before.

I’m still going through my copy, and it’s been enjoyable so far. My only complaint (perhaps too strong of a word; possibly "observation" is better?) is that Colin Harper’s background as a writer for the old "Melody Maker" magazine comes through a bit more strongly than I would like. For example, he spends way more ink on the histories and touring/recording/business struggles of The Bothy Band and Planxty than he does on the actual piping or individual personalities of Paddy Kennan and Liam O’Flynn. Same with the careers of Finbar Furey, Leo Rowsome, and Seamus Ennis. Maybe he is trying to appeal to a broader audience than just pipers (admittedly a small market in the publishing world), but it definitely seems that he is much more interested in the aspect of traditional musicians trying to make a living at it than he is of the music and instrument itself.

By contrast, the chapters on Willie Clancy and Johnny Doran are more focused on the men in question and their piping styles, I suppose because that neither had big recording careers and discographies, so there was less modern music journalism fan-fodder to dig up.

Despite this it is still a very enjoyable read, albeit not one that I could easily read from cover-to-cover in a short time. It is better as an occasional book that you pick up from time to time as the mood strikes and read a chapter and then digest it before moving on.

THE WHEELS OF THE WORLD: 300 Years of Irish Uilleann Pipers

For piping enthusiasts, there is a new limited edition publication on sale shortly

THE WHEELS OF THE WORLD:
300 Years of Irish Uilleann Pipers

Not being a piper, I don’t want to make any judgement on the book. The are extracts available on the website.
For the record, I have no financial interest whatsoever in the publication.

http://www.thewheelsoftheworld.com/

Thank you Jeremy for moving this - I had started a new discussion.