Potential Andy Irvine DVD Lesson

Potential Andy Irvine DVD Lesson

Hypothetical question (with a real possibility): If I could get Andy Irvine to produce a dvd where he took ten songs/tunes he is known for and broke them down on the bouzouk and or mandolin, showing chords, discuss approach, fingering etc, basically a mini tutorial on his approach to each of the song/tunes, which 10 would you like to see?

Re: Potential Andy Irvine DVD Lesson

Kellswater. I don’t know about the other nine, but definitely Kellswater.

Saint Brendan’s Voyage. Rambling Robin. The Blacksmith. Bugger, I’ve just remembered, I don’t play the bouzouki or mandolin. I just love what he does on those songs. And loads of others too!

Just make the DVD, all I need are the fingering patterns for whatever and I’ll take it from there. If you could get Donal Lunny in on it, it would be even better.

Ce serait vraiment super si on pouvait produire un tel DVD. Je suis un fan

Blacksmith and plains of Kildare seem obvious choices. I’d also love the wreck of the dandenong

The West Coast of Clare, Plains of Kildare and Bonny Woodhall.

Any tunes from Planxty era.

Do it as a kickstarter or similar. I would be happy to pay extra to see it happen. I would suspect that the total market size for a tutorial dvd from Andy Irvine would be small but *very* enthusiastic about it and willing I suspect to help beyond a normal dvd purchase price.

My 2cents.

Sean

Having taken a bouzouki class with Andy Irvine (at Zoukfest), I can say that he’s a brilliant player and arranger, but he sucks at teaching what he does. I’m sure part of it was down to my own shortcomings, but AI’s style is so idiosyncratic that he had obvious troubles explaining it even to himself.

What a buzz kill michaelr

Hey, your buzz is none of my business. I merely explained what happened to my own.

Andy is coming to my home in December, 2018, we are firing up the video cameras and are going to create a video of his vision of playing the bouzouki. I need to have more discussion with Andy but my original thought was to have him play a song and then break it down and explain what he is doing with the possibility of having someone there to ask the correct questions, that will hopefully lead him to explanations that are easier for the intermediate player to understand. Any input from this group would be appreciated.

Any updates on this project? Would love to contribute.