Tune ID - Blazing Fiddles

Tune ID - Blazing Fiddles

Can anyone identify the tune played by Kristan Harvey on the “Pete the Budgie” set by Blazin’ Fiddles as seen on their Hogmanay Live 2014 YouTube clip? It starts at 0:57.
https://youtu.be/NrJOodZyG4Q

Thanks.

Re: Tune ID - Blazing Fiddles

From the pen of Scott Skinner perchance?

It’s a tune composed by the late Shetland fiddler Willie Hunter called “Peerie Willie” named for the renowned guitarist “Peerie” Willie Johnson. Like many Shetland fiddlers, Willie Hunter loved Scottish fiddle music, and some of his compositions are very much written in a Skinner style, but with their own inventiveness and musicality. I’ve just looked in my notebooks and see that I transcribed the tune from Hunter’s 1995 album ‘Leaving Lerwick Harbour’, so if you wish a copy, let me know. The Perthshire fiddler Ian Powrie also recorded it on his 1988 LP ‘At Home’.

Well done, Nigel. It did sound familiar - like Tom, my first thought was Scott Skinner, but my second was a modern Shetland composition. I really should have known it, as I posted a clip of Willie Hunter himself playing it on “Youtube” :

https://youtu.be/_-37ovOlVNM

Posted by .

Hi Nigel - I’d like a copy of the transcription if possible please!

Tony - that is my transcription - how did you do that? I’d forgotten that I’d done that fancy version for someone who asked a while ago. I think it’s a rather wonderful tune, and Kenny’s video above serves to remind us what a great musician - and composer - Willie Hunter was.

Thank you gentlemen. I’ve taken a copy of Nigel’s notation from his website.
I’ve downloaded Kenny’s video clip as that is easier to learn from than the Blazin’ Fiddles Hogmanay TV version.
Again thank you. Much appreciated.
Harry

I think, out of all the great Blazin’ Fiddles tunes I’ve heard, this set has to be my favorite to listen to, especially “Peerie Willie” and “Pat the Budgie.”