Wooden Flute Obsession 2

Wooden Flute Obsession 2

Well, I just got my copy of Wooden Flute Obsession 2. I had skipped on WFO1 because probably 80% of the tracks on it in are taken from CDs already represented in my massive collection. (Thank you, Philippe Varlet and Celtic Grooves Imports, for driving me toward bankruptcy…) But WFO2 looked quite promising, as it features many new tracks recorded expressly for this compilation (as opposed to the mainly if not exclusively licensed-from-other-CDs fare on WFO1) performed by a whole new cast of flute-playing characters, many of whom I’d not heard of before.

Now, after listening to this new 2 CD set, I have one comment and one question. The comment is: WOW! There’s a lot of great flute playing there! Which leads directly to my question, which is: Who the hell are these guys (and gals) and where did they come from?!?!? I thought I was reasonably up on the Irish flute scene, but of the 44 players on WFO2, I’d only heard of 24 of them before. (And in many cases, "heard of" means I’d heard the name, and that’s about it.) The sleeve notes for WFO2 have just the names of the players and the names of the tunes, and a pointer to the www.worldtrad.org website for more information. There is indeed more information there, but in most cases it consists mainly of the maker of the flute that the player is playing on the CD. Which is nice to know, don’t get me wrong, but what I’d really like to know is where the player is from, how old they are, who are their influences, and other details about the person and their music. Can anyone out there supply this kind of information about any of the great players on WFO2?

Re: Wooden Flute Obsession 2

If you go to http://www.worldtrad.org/WFO2_CD2.htm , you will find the listing of artists. There you can use the green ‘W’-button to visit the artist’s web site (if he/she has one) or the red ‘G’-button to do a search with Google. I just tried it and it seems to work great.

Posted by .

It seems Newcastle born player Claire Mann plays one track on it. She is an almost self-taught flute player who won championship twice. She’s a bit unique musician and familiar with both Scottish and Irish traditions. I like her self-titled solo album. She’s a mean fiddler as well.

Yes Slainte, I think Claire Mann’s track is fantastic on WFO2 - her "Cathal McConnell’s" is the best I have ever heard that tune played…so light and airy!

John

Duncan Davidson is from Wellington, NZ, he now lives in Palmerston North. He’s an excellent flute player, and also terific on button accordian and bouzouki, plays a hamilton 4 Key.
He’s about 27 ?

Brendyn Montgomery has a web site here.
http://www.traditional-direct.com/brendyn_montgomery.html

Joe Skelton is a Galway doctor , who used to teach at Drumshambo. I think he’s a nephew of Paddy Carty, plays in a chromatic style , uses the keys a lot, great player big extravort personality, lovely guy.

Peter Molloy I think, is Matt Molloy’s son ?

Mick Hand is the well known Dublin flute player who used to teach/audition students at Willie Week.

Pat

Elaine Jeffery’s is an Aussie and so is Dan Gordon. Cant remember who else is on the album.

Posted by .

You might find biographical notes to some of the players if you can get hold of Fintan Vallely’s "meisterwork" "Companion To Irish Traditional Music". Looking at the list of players, I would think around 10 or 11 might be included. I can go to 29 of them, but yes, there are quite a few new faces there to me as well. Who are the ones you don’t know about? We might be able to identify them between us especially if some of the others can chip in.

Posted by .

Okay, here are the flute players on WFO2 who I had never heard about at all before getting the CD:

Brendyn Montgomery
Damien Stenson
Brian Lennon (any relation to Ben, Charlie et al - or maybe to John?)
Duncan Davidson
Dan Gordon
Michael Clarkson
Elaine Jeffreys
Tom McElvogue (who has since outed himself biographically over on the Chaffing Nipples forums - thanks Tom!)
John Kelly (is this Alan’s brother, now that I think of it?)
Gregory Daly
Sharon Creasey
Anthony Quigney
Michael Hurley
Peter Woodley
Noel Lenaghan
Sean Ryan (I guess he makes three, along with the late Tipperary fiddler and the Galway whistler)
Nuala Kennedy
Thomas Bernard Ryan
Caoimhin O Se
Brendan McKinney

Also, I had heard of Dermot Grogan before, but I’d like to learn more about him as I’m playing a couple of tunes that I got from a Virginia (USA) fiddler friend of mine, Joe DeZarn. Joe calls them "Dermot Grogan’s" and he got them from New York flute player Linda Hickman (who ought to be on a WFO CD herself sometime…) So I gather that Dermot is from or at least now in New York. Any further info on him or any of the others? Thanks in advance…

Hooh John, Could you tell us how you came by woofootoo and where can one hear it or buy it?
I’d like to hear some new talent anytime.
Phil

John,
Appearing on "Wooden Flute Obsession 2" ( http://www.worldtrad.org , for Phil):

Brendyn Montgomery
Young (about 25) player in New Zealand. There’s info on his website. He recorded the CD shown in the WFO2 artist details webpage. He was then accepted to the Masters program for Irish Music Performance at the University of Limerick, studying under Niall Keegan. I suspect he’s a much better player now, since Niall believes in playing in and with all the keys.

Damien Stenson
Son of flute player Joe Stenson, who was the original target, but a little too shy to record. I think the Google links mention Damien in some band performances, and other gigs. He’s part of the Sligo area flute player round-up centered around the Coleman Center.

Brian Lennon (any relation to Ben, Charlie et al - or maybe to John?)
Yes. He’s Dr. Patrick Brian Lennon, a doctor at the hospice that put out the original CD. He and Gary Hastings play with Matt Molloy at times.

Duncan Davidson
Another young New Zealand player, recommended New Zealand & Australian players. Guitar on his track is by his brother Alex.

Dan Gordon
Australian flute player from Canberra. Recorded with The Tinkers. Influenced by Eddie Cahill. Appears with 4 tracks on the Australian flute CD "Southerly Breeze", along with Elaine Jeffreys, Terry McGee, & put together by flute player Peter Woodley.

Michael Clarkson
Elaine Jeffreys]
Australian player, also on "Southerly Breeze", took up the flute in London in the 80’s. Influenced by Tommy Healy, Michael Hynes, Marcus Hernon, Seamus Tansey and Matty Sullivan. Now a lecturer of China Studies.

Tom McElvogue (who has since outed himself biographically over on the Chaffing Nipples forums - thanks Tom!)
Covered I think. If you follow the searches, you’ll find references to others playing McElvogue’s tunes.

John Kelly (is this Alan’s brother, now that I think of it?)
Yes. Their CD "Fourmilehouse" is good throughout. This track was from there.

Gregory Daly
Works for the Coleman Center, and has been producing a film for broadcast with traditional players in the Sligo area. Gregory was instrumental in suggesting and arrange a recording session for the Sligo players.

Sharon Creasey
Boehm player living near Glasgow, influenced by Paddy Carty. She and her husband have a recording studio.

Anthony Quigney
Clare musician who has played with Matt Molloy. Joined the Kilfenora Ceili Band in 1992, and teaches. Track from his CD with Aidan McMahon "A Clare Conscience"

Michael Hurley
From Swallow’s Tail Ceili Band, see https://thesession.org/recordings/796.
Also see http://celticgrooves.homestead.com/CG_Ceoltoiri_Coleman.html
Also teaches at the summer schools.

Peter Woodley
Australian flute player who produced "Southerly Breeze"

Noel Lenaghan
Singer, strings & flute player. Appeared in a documentary about Sam Murray’s flutes.

Sean Ryan (I guess he makes three, along with the late Tipperary fiddler and the Galway whistler)
Chicago area musician who plays with Dennis Cahill (guitar & bouzouki). Married to Turlach Boylan’s sister (fiddler from the group Providence).

Nuala Kennedy
Irish flute player living in Edinburgh, Scotland. Plays with the group Fine Friday (DC "Gone Dancing") and in Harem Scarem ("Let Them Eat Fishcake"). Fine Friday has their own site with more info.

Thomas Bernard Ryan
Another session player in the Sligo area, well-known to the rest of that bunch.

Caoimhin O Se

Brendan McKinney

Got cut off, there.

Caoimhin O Se
County Kerry player, born in Chicago. Also presents a traditional music radio programme on Raidio na Gaeltachta. Plays on his duet CD with his dad on accordion

Brendan McKinney
Owner of the Chief O’Neill’s pub in Chicago, and sponsor of many music events there. Plays pipes in addition to flute.

Kevin Krell

Dermot Grogan:
According to Kevin Henry, "the best flute player I know". Got me interested. Dermot is an older box and flute player from Ireland who has been living in the New York area for some time. Learned most of his tunes from the 78’s in the 20’s & 30’s. Never recorded previously, although he has appeared on stage with Joanie Madden, Mike Rafferty, etc.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
http://www.worldtrad.org

Kevin, thanks very much for all this info. Re Dermot Grogan, you say he is an older player, are you also saying he learned the tunes in the ’20s and ’30s, or that he learned from CDs made in the ’20s and ’30s? If it’s the former, then that would put him in his 80s now, in which case I am very, very impressed with his playing on WFO2. From the sound of that track I would not have thought him to be an older player at all. Even if he’s a somewhat younger older player (i.e. 60s or so), I’m still impressed. I can see why Kevin Henry would make that comment.

I may have actually seen some of the players you associate with the Coleman Center the one time I was at the Tubbercurry summer school a few years ago. There was a recital featuring many great flute players, but the announcer was not very clear in giving their names. It might have been marginally audible at the live gig, but not at all on my minidisc recording (although the flute playing came through fine.) I’ll have to check out some of these websites. Again, thanks forthe info and thanks for putting together the CD!

Kevin’s given a pretty comprehensive reply to your request, John. I may be able to add one or two small points of information to what has gone before. It might be indelicate to speculate on ages, so I’ll refrain!
Michael Clarkson is a player from Belfast. I’m sure "Brendan" or "Longnote" would be able to tell you about him better than me.
Tom McElvogue came out of the Irish scene in Newcastle. He was a frequent and successful competitor in Fleadhs in the 80s.
Sharon Creasey has recently been involved in the transcription of tunes for the "Hidden Fermanagh" book and CDs. She and Richard used to play a lot with the McHugh family in Glasgow.
Michael Hurley is from Leeds originally, but has been living in Co.Sligo for a good few years now. He is well involved in the local scene there, and his playing is included in more than one locally-produced CD.
Noel Lenaghan, I played with on several occasions in the 80s, when he used to come over from Belfast to visit his brother Gerry who was working here in Aberdeen. [Unless, of course, there are two flute-playing Noel Lenaghan’s from Belfast]. At that time he was playing mandolin and Boehm-system flute, and doing a bit of singing.
I wondered if the Sean Ryan mentioned here was the flute player from Ennis, who used to play some great music at the Willie Clancy week. Haven’t seen or heard him there for a few years, so maybe this is him, having emigrated to Chicago? I don’t know. Could be yet another Sean Ryan!
Hope this is of interest.
I take it you’d recommend the CD set.

Posted by .

I believe Dermot Grogan is in his late 70’s.

Sorry about skipping Michael Clarkson. I was looking for him and was talking to Sam Murray, and he was just popping into the shop to pick up a flute the next day. The Session has a list of the tunes on his CD with Gerry Jones "The Far Set" at
https://thesession.org/recordings/1057

BTW, for those who want to hear a little of WFO2, there are MP3 samples on the website. Either up to 30 seconds from each artist (41 on WFO1, 44 on WFO2), or "Disc at a Glance" (1 big MP3 with 10 seconds from the start of each track).

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society
http://www.worldtrad.org

Sharon Creasey:
Originally from London, now living near Glasgow.
I’ve been playing a long time! First teachers of Irish Music: Clive Cunningham (fiddler from Maghera, now in Wiltshire), Lucy Farr RIP; sat at the feet of Paddy Carty RIP. Other big influences/friends: Packie Byrne, Cathal McConnell,Jimmy McHugh RIP, Michael Hynes, Danny Meehan.
Play Rudall Carte Cocuswood Boehm (recording & performance) and Uebel ‘Vibralloy’ (sessions; also whistle
Have digital mobile studio with husband Richard Creasey (bozouki)- currently doing some ‘experimental’ recording - anyone interested?
Did the transcriptions & research for ‘Hidden Fermanagh’ book and play whistle on John McManus’ lilting track, CD Vol.1
Don’t yet have a website but all enquiries/comments to: sharontheflute@aol.com or for recording enquiries:puresoundaudio@aol.com

Hi Incase anybody is crusin’ this still…..

Brendyn Montgomery here my web address for those interested is:
http://www.brendyn.net

If this Dermot Grogan from Mayo, now in NYC, is the same as my cousin Dermot Grogan he’s certainly not in his 70s! I think he’s 44.

Posted by .