Help make a list of trad recordings with bass

Help make a list of trad recordings with bass

Bass (electric or acoustic) is not the most common instrument in ITM, but it does crop up from time to time. I’m trying to find as many groups/albums as possible featuring the instrument.

These come to mind:
Lunasa
Chris Norman Ensemble
Ensemble Eriu
Laurence Nugent—Two for Two
Also, some Breton bands…

What others can you add to the list?

Re: Help make a list of trad recordings with bass

Liz Carroll’s recent "On the Offbeat" album has some tracks with bass accompaniment by Trevor Hutchinson. Not strictly ITM on all the tracks, but still one of the best recent examples I’ve heard.

You could probably find more by tracking Trevor’s credits on other albums, since he’s one of the go-to bass players in this genre (in addition to the Lunasa work).

Your can hear Triona’s left hand playing clavinet on many tunes with Bothy Band.

Not strictly irish, but Dave Peg seems to know how to play bass backing on tunes.
You can also watch Danny Thomson in the house band on Transatlantic Sessions.
And dont’t forget Steve Cooney playing bass on many Irish records

Thanks for the tips so far. A few more I came across:

Moving Hearts—The Storm, with Eoghan O’Neill on bass

Solas—Another Day, Waiting for an Echo, The Hour Before Dawn, The Turning Tide, The Edge of Silence, For Love and Laughter, all with Chico Huff on bass (maybe other albums of theirs, too?)

both albums by Nomos, several by Stockton’s Wing.

… and I’m just listening right now to a CD by Alain Genty, Breton bass player. Found it in a charity shop this afternoon. Not Irish, but you did mention Breton bands above. Title is "Le Grand Encrier", released 1998.

Posted by .

Nearly anything by Sharon Shannon, Máirtín O’Connor (the modern recordings, that is), Máire Breatnach, Eileen Ivers. I think I might have heard a double bass in Four Men and a Dog as well. And the Johnny Óg Connolly/Brian McGrath album (Dreaming up the Tunes).

Breabach from Scotland

Paul O’Drisceoil plays bass on the recordings by Moher and the Josephine Marsh band.

Not Irish traditional, and you might have included it on your list of "some Breton bands", but I believe some of Sylvain Barou’s music includes bass on some tracks.

You’ll find electric bass (and more) on any album by Mike McGoldrick (except the first one, Morning Rory).

Quentin Cooper and Marty Bellou play bass on "Across The Pond" by Kevin Griffin, with Roger Burridge(fiddle),
Michael Shorrock(bouzouki), and Jimmy Noonan(concert flute). And from memory I think there may have been a double bass on Nigel Davey’s first recording that he made when he was a teenager? Both recordings are highly recommended, but I wouldn’t know where to obtain Nigel’s CD.

Yeah, Phil Lynott was brilliant. Thanks Ben.

Posted by .

Breaking Trad - The Album
Plenty of bass type noises.

The new Réalta line-up (nothing recorded, yet).