Kudos to Tunepal!

Kudos to Tunepal!

Brian Duggan has successfully migrated Tunepal.org to a new Ubuntu server. All those recent crashes have been resolved. (And here I thought it was me!). But even better, now Tunepal works on my Chromebook’s browser.
Now if I can only agitate for a Chrome Os app….

Re: Kudos to Tunepal!

I would like a real time option for Tunepal, i.e. leave it on recording and it automatically detects tune starts/changes and does its’ best to show whatever is playing now… And even if it requires selection between possible hits, then the option to store the results against each piece of recording and then do the selection later. Maybe also allow it to run with the screen turned off?

i.e. change it so that one doesn’t need to spend time in the pub fiddling with smartphone/tablet, when you can be trying to play along and/or chat. But still have the option of digging around to identify the tunes that you didn’t recognise at the time.

I have in the past recorded a whole session and then chopped the recording apart in Audacity and fed appropriate bits of it to the tunepal website, but it is quite a bit of work. And I am lazy.

Anyway, I just want to say thank you for Tunepal an absolutely great resource, especially in the smartphone app form.

.Re: Kudos to Tunepal!

The only possible use I’ve found for Tunepal has been at sessions where I wanted to easily find what tune is being played. After a year I’ve never known it right once, so I’ve simply written it off to bad luck and stopped using it. Well you can’t win ‘em all …

Ah, well, courses for horses. I find it helps me with my recognition skills, Yes, the poor dear gets confused
easily enough, but then I just dial-up another attempt and it gets it right the second time. I do find that certain players in my session have uncertain rhythm and that will cross it up until the pack jumps in. I also note that exceptional ‘swing’ will cross it up at times. But all in all a grand advance.

I don’t know if it’s my iPhone 6’s fault or Tunepal’s, but since I downloaded this app it’ only been right three out of thirty or so times. Not very useful.

captacoustic, are you using TunePal to identify tunes from recordings, from sessions, or from snippets of your own playing?

If you’re using it on recordings there’s always a chance the tune is not being played in its ‘normal’ session key. e.g. there are lots of recordings of Eb flutes and whistles, B uilleann pipes, D/D# accordions, fiddlers playing a tune in C instead of its usual D, and so forth. If you’re listening to a recording of Matt Molloy playing an Eb flute for example, you need to tell TunePal that the instrument’s fundamental note is Eb or you’ll have no luck.

If you’re using it to identify clips from sessions or your own playing, apparently " It doesn’t work very well with "plucked string" instruments such as the banjo and harp" (http://tunepal.org/tunepal/troubleshooting.php), so that could be part of the problem.

I generally find it to work pretty well whenever I use it, but that being said I tend to only use it for tunes that sound very ‘trad’ and nearly always use a whistle to play a snippet of the tune, ensuring I have correctly set the fundamental note in TunePal.

I’ve tried various ways. It just doesn’t pick out the right tune usually. I’m wondering if there’s an issue with my iPhone.

Well, as you may know, banjos don’t have universal acceptance…🙂 (LOL).
The documentation states it does much better with instruments with longer sustain, such as whistles and flutes.
I’ve also found it to have acceptable behavior with boxes.
Clearly, you should take up the whistle! 🙂
On a serious note, try hooking a mike up to your desktop/laptop and try using the web based version.
G’luck.