Guitar vid

Re: Guitar vid

Fine playing - and nice to hear a strong melody from a guitar, rather than chords.

Q. What tuning are you using?

Cheers just Standard tuning.

Forget I dropped the low E down to D for the wee drone effect at the start

I went to a John Doyle solo concert a few weeks back - your getting pretty damn close! Neat picking and
a lovely clear tone. More please.

Thanks christy. It’s a new guitar a Furch. It’s got a great tone. Aye John Doyle is another level all together what a player.

Sounds great! I’d like to be able to see both hands, though.

Looked, listened, enjoyed, left a comment.

Thanks lads. I used to have that arty mcglynn album on tape back in the 80s and failed miserably trying to learn the tunes off it. Just couldn’t get the right hand picking right. So I’m having another go.

While I’m here. Is there any other guitarist out there in the central belt of Scotland fancy getting together and working on some tunes. Maybe a wee mix of Irish / scots trad , bluegrass, blues.

Hey Tam sounding great and if my ears don’t deceive me you’re making great progress. Keep stickin em up.

I’m still workin on the basis of what goes down must come up and after a few months frustration and hard work, I now feel I’m gettin there. Nearly back to session speed, but with a fluency I never had before.

Cheers Conrad. Aye it’s a hard slog as you well know. Thought of giving up a couple times. Not giving up the guitar but picking tunes on the guitar but I do enjoy playing them. Plus I’ve re started learning some bluegrass stuff I used to know so I’m trying to stick to the down ups. How about yourself? You still doing all they warm ups? I’ve been try to do half an hour a day of right hand exercises.

Reilly67 -nice lift going on in your playing.

Cheers.

Yeh Tam I think I understand yer feelings.

I’m afraid despite all the advice I have read here about the picking of jigs, I still believed the way forward was to be able to play as fluently on the up stroke as the down. As a result I have been workin on getting things as natural on the up as they are on the down. The biggest problem for me were the jigs (I’m sure you can figure that). I believe the timing more subtle and the triplets need to be spot on. I am no expert but I believe this is a practice

Yes I have been fecked off for a long time, I had changed my right hand, I couldn’t go back and I couldn’t knock a tune out anymore. Didn’t know if it was age or worse, or if I could ever manage a tune again.

Yep Conrad it can be really frustrating at times. I found for a while there id be playing the tunes fine, then next day it was as if I’d never played them in my life but I’ve stuck it out and I feel I’ve turned a corner. Its really difficult to change the you way play especially if you’ve be doing it for so long. I’ve always knew that my right hand was my weakness but never really needed to worry about it as I played mostly electric and fingerpicking on acoustic but picking tunes there’s no hiding place if your picking technique isn’t up to scratch. As you say your fecked. Keep going mate. We’ll get through it haha

Tam I’m pleased at least there is two of us singing from the same hymn sheet.

Speak to me if you like

No worries keep me posted about how your doing.
Cheers

Tam what can I say that hasn’t already been said.
Just bear in mind life is full of ups and downs, however, keep yer emphasis on the ups.
I have spent a long time naturally with the downs, they’re easy, its the ups ye need to work on.
All the best.
C

I’ve been working on a few bluegrass tunes with strict alternating picking they’re really helping me especially doing the cross picking thing also trying to keep my hand as loose as possible but still being able to control the pick. Another thing I find that’s helping me is stop obsessing about speed. I think if you’ve got that constantly in the back of your mind you tend to cut corners to get it uptempo.

Yer very right tam, I believe strict alternate pickin is the key.

That’s just my opinion, however, having to re-learn things and been left for a long time unable to play I can understand why people may not want to go there.

Please you guys, whatever picking instrument you decide on, nail the basics.

we need to start a counseling group to get us over this hurdle Conrad. First bit of Counseling advice. How to relax your picking hand- BEER
I reckon beer will relax your picking hand.

Reilley as you know yer a star. I look forward to hearing more from ye.

My opinions are simply that. And, on a great website like this I am just lucky. Thanks to J I get to opine.
No really thanks again

Yes thanks a mill J
C