Are there any renowned sessions?

Are there any renowned sessions?

I got a response of "Don’t ask: Don’t tell" last time - but there must be more to it!

Are there any famously good sessions anywhere in the world?

Re: Are there any renowned sessions?

The first rule of Sesh Club is "We don’t talk about Sesh Club."

Well, if you have to ask…

you’ll find them if you know how to find them

The best place to start is Glasgow, Choons.

Posted by .

If a session were really "Renowned" it would be common knowledge and probably cater to the lowest common denominator. You might say the best sessions sprout organically and are a product of a group of people who just happen to be in the right place at the right time. Oh yeah it also helps if the session Fairies sprinkle some of their magic around on the night ;)

Most world-renowned would probably be Sandy Bells in Edinburgh. Famous, if not necessarily "famously-good".

If you’ve never heard of it, then I’m wrong already.

Posted by .

*Sandy Bells * - known as ‘Bendy Sals’ by those in the know :)

I had a lovely night in the sandy bells once, it was michael gill’s night, thanks lads. It takes a lot of skill and stern tongue to have a long running high quality session. Ones i have enjoyed have been brogans in ennis (rip), hughes’ in dublin and the herschel in slough, not been to any of those recently though.

I don’t know about "renowned" but I’ll put in a good word for the Saturday night session at the Crane in Galway.

I don’t think there are renowned sessions per se, but definitely renowned venues. The Cobblestone in Dublin, the Crane in Galway, and Matt Molloy’s in Westport would be examples of places that would be well-known by trad listeners and musicians. Some have regular sessions with very well known names; that might fit your "renowned" criteria the best.

For every well known musician, there’s at least one outsider who will start Whiskey Before Breakfast.

There’s one in New York that was called Mona’s. It moved elsewhere (can’t remember). Somebody made a live CD of it. I went in 2012 and it was the best Irish sess I’ve ever been to. Started around 11pm and ended near sunrise.

Great - Of course there are sessions that hope to exclude people, but I thought there are bound to be some that are famous.

Glasgow is fantastic for sessions - I’m sure I’ve played at most. Most sessions even seem open to any player who can play along without ruining things.

These three sessions you mentioned seem great BigSciota! I was wondering if there are any good sessions worth travelling for - that aren’t trying to hide themselves from thesession.orgers of course ;). I’d love to play in Dublin at some point and it seems the Cobblestone is a top tip for people who are not in any secret group.

The Greenbriar in Boston has been going close to 25 years. Some really memorable sessions there in the days when Gaelic Roots was still going (RIP).

Posted by .