Paddy Fahy’s #1

Paddy Fahy’s #1

Can anyone tell me where to find a recording of this reel? It’s over at JCs Tunefinder in midi, but I’d like to hear a recording of it and learn from that. Someone told me it’s also called "After the Fleadh".

Thanks!

Re: Paddy Fahy’s #1

Hey Christine, I have Paddy Fahy’s Reel On Martin Hayes "The Lonesome Touch" CD.. I am not certain this is the reel you are looking for. If you don’t have the recording I would highly recommend getting a copy.. a lot of great tunes…

Hi Jim, I have "The Lonesome Touch" but unfortunately, that isn’t the same reel. Paddy wrote quite a few. I’ve never come across it on a recording (that I can remember) but I can’t believe no one has covered it. Thanks for checking, though!

She calls it "Fahey’s"

Numbers are not usually a very reliable way of referring to tunes, because nobody remembers which number goes with which tune, and Paddy Fahey has written a heck of a lot of tunes. however, the tune which Kathleen Collins recorded, a reel in D minor (or D dorian), does seem to be the most popular of them, so it could be called ‘#1’ in the sense of the hit parade.

Thanks, you guys! By the way, I referred to it as #1 because that’s how it was listed at JC’s web site. It could be #257 for all I know 🙂

I looked it up on JC’s to see which Fahey’s was #1, I had no idea. Then I looked at the ABC’s & realised it was the Ddor one.

Ok, so that is definitely the one I’m after. I haven’t got the album but I listened to some cuts on Amazon and really like her playing. Couldn’t hear the Fahy’s though because they just give you snippets of the tunes. I’ll have to order it. Thanks, oh Mad one 🙂

It’s a very digable album, I’m sure you’ll be happy with it.

Kevin posted the tune you are looking for here on The Session some time ago. I’ve often seen this one referred to as Paddy Fah(e)y’s #1, probably more a testimony to its popularity that it’s place in the sequence of tunes as Mr. Fahy wrote them. The Portland Collection of tunes lists it this way.

I’ve also heard it played in Dminor, with the B’s flattened, and there are versions where the c’s morph from natural to sharp and back again.

Posted .

I’d just like to hear it played on something besides a hammer dulcimer (hammered?) in an extremely noisy pub! I forgot to check my Portland Collection for it….duh. Anyway, I’m happy I asked you guys because now I have a new (to me) fiddler to check out. I wonder what key And now that I have the "slow downer" software I’m anxious to get back to learning by ear. It’s how I was taught to do it to begin with, but after I learned to read sheet I started using it probably more that I should have. It opened up a whole new world of tune books but it also made me lazy! Especially since unless the tune is going at a pretty relaxed pace, I find it really hard to pick it up from a cd.

Once you get used to C Dorian & D Minor (Or any other "flat keys") you’ll find they are super-fun fiddle keys, for fluters etc don’t despair just pick up a C whistle & make like your in E Dorian on a D whistle (if that makes any sense)
Will, I’ve heard this tune done with the C#-Cnat thing, it’s really nice, it’s fun to occasional play an F# in it as well, but forwarn you session-mates. BTW not quiet major & not quiet minor 3rd & 6th degrees is very West Clare style of playing, if you check out Garret Barry’s here at the session I posted a minor-"ish" version (in the comments section)that I pieced together from the playing of Paddy Canny, Tommy Potts, Kevin Burke, Patrick Orceaux & about a hundred other fiddlers. It’s very funky & needs to be played very slow wit *lots* of swing to make it sound good.
cheers, Brad "Mad Baloney" Maloney