Standalone ABC editor on The Session

Standalone ABC editor on The Session

A little while back, I got a message from a member of The Session asking if there were any way to use the tune setting submission process but save a "draft" version a tune and come back later for submission.

I had never thought about a standalone ABC editor being useful (I assumed most people used some ABC software on their own machine to test out settings). I haven’t been able to add the draft functionality into the site, but I have created a standalone ABC editor here:

https://thesession.org/tunes/editor

You can enter ABC notation, view the sheet music, and then download the ABC file to your hard drive (and you can always copy’n’paste the contents of that ABC file back into the form later).

I don’t imagine that this will be all that useful for most people, but it didn’t take long to put it together so I figured, why not?

Re: Standalone ABC editor on The Session

Pretty cool Jeremy. That should be useful for some of the folks.

On another note: How difficult would it be to create a "bulk" loader that could just ingest a file full of abc tunes and put them in Session format? I’m busy converting the undocumented tunes from Ryaz’s "Scottish Tome" thread and that’s pushing 50 discrete tunes at this point. I don’t look forward to entering them individually (and I suspect that Ryaz is thinking likewise).

I think it’s potentially a very useful tool. I routinely use similar editors (with more features) that are available elsewhere on the web.

(Why? I don’t bother with standalone software any more because I can’t control the output to PDF precisely enough. I use a text editor and run tunebooks through abcm2ps and then ghostscript (using lots of formatting commands). So editors like this one are useful for checking transcriptions.)

If you want to make this one more useful, Jeremy, you could add tools to transpose and to output as pdf or png etc., as some of these other editors do. But I think I can guess your answer to the next suggestion: allow us to enter the metre directly instead of making us choose from thesession’s predefined list of tune types. 🙂

Callison, good work on the collection. I don’t mean or intend to slow your progress, or curb your effort but I would like it if you could include some comment with each of your tune submissions. It’s disappointing when I search for a tune & find it without a single comment.

Posted by .

AB Steen, the only tune I’ve submitted to The Session in recent months has been "Pennan Den" and I did provide some information below that. As to Ryaz’s "Scottish Tome", those are merely abc transcriptions from the pdf/jpg pages Ryaz has scanned. There aren’t any comments on the source material so I can’t imagine what else would be added for comments on the transcriptions. If and when they get submitted to The Session, there will be likely be a statement to the effect that the tunes were sourced from material provided by Ryaz.

No worries, callison. Any tune you post is appreciated.

Posted by .

As Stiamh says, to be really useful it would be helpful to have the full range of header fields usable.

The other useful feature would be the ability to copy/paste output versions in png and/or SVG formats (I draw up a lot of instructional sheets and I’d love to be able to get away from a shellscript toolchain as it’s overkill for producing a dozen three-note examples, etc).

Posted by .

Re: Standalone ABC editor

Cheers, Mr. Keith! This is a good start, cannot wait to see where it goes from here.

;)

Posted by .

Is there a way to just print the dots from this editor without printing the whole page?