Dympna O’Sullivan R.I. P.

Dympna O’Sullivan R.I. P.

Concertina players and all those who appreciate the concertina in Irish music will be saddened to hear of the death of Dympna O’Sullivan.
She had been unwell for some time but the hope was always there that she would recover. Sadly this wasn’t to be.
Dympna was a beautiful person and one of the leading exponents of Irish music on the concertina.
She was very generous with her music and will be sadly missed.
May she rest in peace.

Re: Dympna O’Sullivan R.I. P.

Dympna was one of the best, may she rest in peace.

Ah sorry to hear that, met her down in Miltown a few years ago.

Posted .

I’d never heard of her until this post, I looked her up on youtube, An amazing player, my condolences to her family.

So sorry to hear this, I was listening to her version of Meelick Team Jig only yesterday. A very talented musician for sure, my condolences to all who knew her.

Very sad to hear. Thoroughly enjoyed her music and continue to play her CDs often. The sign of a great musician is you can pick up something useful and new every time you hear her. She will be greatly missed. My sincere condolences to her family.

Posted by .

Dympna was my favourite player, relaxed style, not the hurried music we often hear these days, these are links to the past, i treasure the time i spent talking to this lovely lady in Kilrush, it was only the once but have never forgotten her. RIP.

We will miss her enormously. A lovely person, a unique musician.

David

What took her so young ?

Cancer.

I first met her at one of the Mrs. Crotty festivals in Kilrush around 2004 on one of my trips to Ireland. I’d heard her on a tape of a live performance a year or two before that and found her music to be stunningly beautiful, even hypnotic if you will, a lovely tempo which allowed the tunes she played to "breathe", full of the most gorgeous variations. She always welcomed this Aussie muso/tourist, and made me feel like one of the locals. She was genuinely humble about her extraordinary gift for playing music. It was my lucky lot in life to have been able to meet and play music with her. Her music deeply touched the hearts of anyone who heard her play.