Humphrey Tin Whistles?

Humphrey Tin Whistles?

I have heard good things about the tin whistles made by Gary Humphrey. Has anyone here ever played one of his whistles? If so, can anyone comment on how the different bore sizes sound, and how his "stealth model" compares to the journeyman model?

Thanks in advance for any input provided.

Posted by .

Re: Humphrey Tin Whistles?

I have his Stealth D+. Its fantastic, I can’t compare it to his other whistles as I haven’t yet gotten around to buying more but I strongly doubt you would regret purchasing from him. This is my primary session instrument because of the loud volume and sweet tone. Plus its nicely in tune. Its quite like a very nice generation whistle. It has the same sort of sound but the larger bore that the D+ has requires more push in the upper octave.

I’ve played a couple of Humphrey whistles, about ten years ago now. http://webpages.charter.net/raindog1970/
For a while, I had a low F Journeyman, and a friend had a Stealth Trad high D I recall the tuning being spot on, and both were very smooth players with a stable low end but not much extra push required at the top. In particular, the Trad high D had a wonderfully sweet and chirpy tone. The volume was just right—about as loud as a good cheap whistle (I don’t care for whistles much louder than that, regardless of the setting). I had a Sindt around that time, and I found them to be in the same league.

I have several Stealth whistles, no Journeymen. They are all excellent, especially in the higher pitch range. Most recently, I got a D in sterling silver, although I already had a session D in brass. The silver practically immediately became my all-time favorite whistle, over a couple Sindts and a Copeland I have had for years.
It is the only whistle I own that my wife remarks favorably on to my playing around the house, and indeed it has the most remarkable, singing, birdlike purity of tone. Now that I think of it, it’s time to get another: an Eb in silver.

I have a Trad high D (brass tube). I agree with mcswiss completely. It’s my go to high D whistle, though I own a lot of other makes. The sound is like a really good Generation, with none of the "issues". I don’t have a journeyman model and have no experience with any of his other bore sizes .

I got one of his D whistles 5+ years ago, it was all right but kind of blah. As far as Generation-style whistles go, I vastly prefer my Freeman Blackbird.