Great tunes for learning and/or teaching

Great tunes for learning and/or teaching

I just got my copy of Shannon Heaton’s new book/CD combo called "First 50". If any of you enjoyed her book Oil For the Chain from 10 years ago (!), she’s upped the game a bit on this one, but in a lot of ways it’s for a similar purpose.

There are 2 CDs in the set, with a total of 29 tracks (including 50 tunes, thus the title). Shannon has geared the companion book toward flute and fiddle, with breathing and bowing suggestions scattered through the sheet music. But the playing is wonderful, with beautiful rhythm and simplicity, perfect for learning by ear for any instrument. I might also note that of the 50 tunes, I only knew about half of them, and several I had never heard before! So it’s not just another "top 50 tunes to learn" kind of thing. They’re all lovely tunes, and I’ll be working my way through many of the ones I don’t know (and probably working through the ones I do know to see how Shannon expresses them differently).

And I’m sure I’ll end up stealing some of her ideas for teaching to my students too. ;-)

Shannon was my first teacher of Irish trad many years ago, and she continues to be one of my favorite players, especially since she has always shown great humility and desire to help introduce people to the music we all love, and help nurture them into great players.

If you’re interested in the book, she has it available as either hard copy or download (as well as Oil For the Chain) on her website here: http://shannonheatonmusic.com/irish-music/irish-instructional-materials-2/

Re: Great tunes for learning and/or teaching

Just happened to watch some of her vids earlier today, promoting her project, and her playing is beautiful.

Pete, I very much appreciate hearing from you about Shannon Heaton’s new CD/book combo. I don’t have her earlier book, but I do have mp3s of her Tune of the Month series back to 2009. Love her playing & singing. Her TOTMs have been helpful, rewarding & fun.

;)

Posted by .

Cool ! Can you give us a small overview of which tunes (names) are included ?
I think I’ll buy the numeric version of the package you’ve described above but I see on the webpage there is another package called : Oil for the Chain BOOK & CD package – DOWNLOAD
what is it ? Is it another book with different tunes ? I don’t understand…

Posted by .

I’ll buy both of them if I know what’s inside… It’s a pity there isn’t any overview of what the content is… It seems worth buying but I don’t want to buy the book if I happen to know 3/4 of the tunes :-(

Posted by .

Ralex—. First 50 is the new book and Oil for the Chain came out a few years ago. Good point about putting the contents up on the site—brand new website, still working out the kinks! In the meantime, here are the tunes in first 50:
Óró Sé Do Bheatha Bhaile
Woodland Waltz
Apple Blossom
O’Keefe’s Slide
Many’s the Thing I Saw
Donald Blue
Top of Maol
Eva’s Polka
Let the Bottle Circulate
Westering Home
Leaving the Station
Rollin’ in the Ryegrass
Anthony Frawley’s
Coleman’s Cross
Plains of Boyle
Fig for a Kiss
Cock and the Hen, The
Soldier’s Return
Sean South of Garryowen
Casabar
Wren, The
Promenade
Boys of Ballisodaire
Maud Miller
Volunteer, The
Johnny Will You Marry Me
Miss Galvin’s
Taur Polka
As I Went Out Upon the Ice
Hector the Hero
Lord Mayo’s March
Highland Laddie
Avery’s Mazurka
John Doherty’s
John McHugh’s
Hag at the Churn
Frank Thornton
Four Province Highland Fling
Weaver’s Delight, The
Five Gold Coins
Bold Doherty
When the Cock Crows It is Day
Far From Home
Doon, The
South Wind
Moll Roe
Night Before Larry Was Stretched, The
Fairies’ Hornpipe
Salmon Tails up the River
Church Street Polka

Posted by .

Fair enough, it is a nice tunes miscellany I’ll buy the 50 first ;-)

Posted by .

Sebastian, thanks for posting the current podcast link. Love her TOTMs.
Thank you, Ms. Heaton!
matt, too

Posted by .

Cheers Sebastain & AB. I’ve been having some trouble figuring out how to get the podcast properly listed in iTunes; we switched methods of posting them and it still wants to find the old ones rather than the new…the struggle continues.

Posted by .

Hi, I have heard of a few of these tunes, and they all sound great, but I would look at other tunes as well. For example, the Irish Rover is a good tune to learn, and especially, because it is an easy simple tune, without too many notes. But The Dhoon is also a very good tune, I know since it is a JAM medal test dance, but also because I have attempted to play it. That tune doesn’t have too many notes either.

I purchased the First 50 and am very pleased. Great tunes, nicely played. An excellent learning tool. Plenty of value for fluters and fiddlers alike.

Ah d’oh on me, didn’t get you’re *that* matt, matt! :~) Cheers to you and Shannon then. Will there be a vendor on the other side of the pond BTW?

@sebastian at the moment, we don’t have anyone lined up; the download is probably the best option at the moment as shipping has gotten ridiculous!

Posted by .

Thanks for your reply, matt! Yes, I’ve seen that, and then there’s customs and all… I’ll consider the binaries I suppose.