FS: New Sindt D Whistle

FS: New Sindt D Whistle

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-Sindt-Irish-D-Tin-Whistle-Brand-New-condition-/281903395924

"I am selling this brand new John Sindt D whistle in its original packaging as sent from John himself. There is a waiting list of over two years now for these fine whistles. The only reason I am selling this whistle is that I purchased one secondhand while on the waiting list so I have no need for this one which I ordered years ago. As you can see from the pictures, the whistle is in perfect condition and has sat in the box in came in since it arrived.

I will post the item to the UK & Ireland for £4.99 (message me if you would like it sent to the Republic of Ireland), and to the rest of the EU and the USA for £14.99 via Royal Mail tracked post. For other countries please message me for a P&P quote."

Re: FS: New Sindt D Whistle

I don’t understand … Jhon Sindt died some years ago … The best tin whistle created, only that price on ebay?

Let me know, I’m interested in buying.

@gianfranco

‘Died years ago’?!? My most recent email exchange with John was last October.

John Sindt and I messaged in December.

Funny, I played with him last night…

Posted by .

Must have been his ghost.

Out of curiosity, what would people here consider a ‘sensible’ price to pay for one of these? I wouldn’t mind paying around the 200.00 mark and was thinking of putting in a bid, but I have seen Sindt whistles go for around three times that amount.

I’ll try to get it to replace my feadog

@HK

So that’s why I’m waiting so long on my two. He has a social life.

:(

I noticed there was a discussion post about seven years ago in which someone reported, essentially, that they had heard John had passed away. But someone else in the discussion thread subsequently confirmed that he was, indeed, alive and well. It turned out to be a newer twist on the old Mark Twain quote, "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

I actually got into a semi-argument about this with someone local last year - good to have the confirmation that he is indeed alive, as I thought!

I have a Sindt D whistle I’d sell as well, so I’ll see what this goes for. It seems the D whistles have been selling for around $300 USD lately!

Posted by .

The Syns are final whistles. I have the ‘one head and loadsa bodies’ set, and a black diamond in D. The Sindt is in a different league altogether though. They’re different beasts, and while some might indeed prefer the Syn, in no way are they ‘better’ whistles. Just different. And, while they certainly have a ‘syn’ factor, they don’t have the X factor.

I have both, too, and also untweaked generations… the latter are far superior.

People who think Sindts (or generations, or other "cheap" and "quiet" whistles) only work in small sessions and so use loud Burkes, Susatos, or similar loud whistles are probably really irritating to most of the attendees of larger or "normal" sized sessions.

Posted by .

And what about considering a Sindt lookalike - the Killarney whistle - they seem to get good reviews at affordable prices.

Surely if the Sindt isn’t any better than your Gennie, Nico, you should sell yours to me for a fiver.

🙂 I paid a lot more than that for it, though!

It’s a good enough whistle, but I found a few excellent old generations at a really weird used furniture (and misc.) store near here… otherwise I’d have said it was as good as my generations. I mostly bought it to see if they lived up to the hype. It seems to me somebody else will think it’s millions times better than my favourite…

Posted by .

The point is just that it’s very likely even a quiet whistle is carrying a LOT better than you think - which means a really loud one is REALLY loud to those around you… even with accordions.

Posted by .

i considered that when making my question, still curious to hear you opinion about :D

Oh, well, thought I’d give it a shot. 🙂

If you are patient you can usually find Sindts selling for $200 or below.

The Killarney whistles are very nice, and I recommend them frequently. However, despite looking like a Sindt, and having similar qualities, I think of them as two distinct types of whistle. The Killarney may have been intended to be a knockoff of a Sindt, but they have enough differences to view them as their own thing altogether. I like the Sindt more, but the Killarney is up there. So, if you expect to buy a Killarney and get the same thing as a Sindt, it isn’t going to happen. Regardless, they are still top-notch, though. I’ve even heard a couple of people say they prefer them over the Sindt.

And John Sindt hasn’t been dead. I bought a newly made C from someone very recently, which was completed just a couple of weeks before.

"The point is that it’s very likely even a quiet whistle is carrying a LOT better than you think "

Yes indeed, I’ve told the story about a fantastic session many years ago- a couple GREAT fiddlers playing wonderful tunes I’d not heard before (or since, probably) plus a few other musicians including a whistle player.

This whistle player didn’t know any of the tunes, which didn’t keep him from noodling around the whole time, searching for the tune.

In person the whistle was pretty quiet and didn’t interfere all that much with enjoying the music.

But I taped that session, and discovered the next day that, on the tape, pretty much all I could hear was that awful noodling whistle!

Sorry TSS 🙂 Maybe next time!

Posted by .

Don’t worry Nico, Dr SS has a Feadog to beat them all. I loved it last time I played it. If the fetishisation of older cheap whistles continues over on Chiff she’ll be able to trade straight out for the Sindt ;)

Posted by .

My favourite whistle is also a Feadog - but most people don’t like it nearly as much as me.

Posted by .

I swap between the Feadog in question and the Crawford Special, depending on how loud I want to be.

I bought one of Cillian Ó Briain’s tweaked Feadóg whistles for my other half who has started learning to play. I played a few tunes on it myself last night and it is a really really nice whistle. I enjoyed playing it so much that I think I have no choice but to buy another one for myself.