Padraic McDonnachda, Conor Tully, Franck Hogan

Padraic McDonnachda, Conor Tully, Franck Hogan

Hi everyone,

Some of you probably remember I already posted some old session recordings in the past and here is another contribution :

Part 1 : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dhm0s5rthn6zxw1/AABV2heCSydydTK9T2HrZJtIa?dl=0

Part 2 : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zqmkgogj8c73lgb/AABg3_ARgIHqTXM-vhnVJRP3a?dl=0

I would like to know if some of you (CreadurMawnOrganig for instance or Dr. Dow) could possibly identify those tunes. I was able to learn all the tunes from the recording of the Session of the Century thanks to those members, it was very helpful from them. I like to keep track of what I learn and as I am also able to sight read music notation quickly I like learning tunes with sheets (shame on me I know but I find I learn quickly that way plus I don’t play exactly what I read, I’d say I play more a kind of average or a mix of what I see)

There is another old session I want to share which I’ve already shared in the past but it seems nobody wanted to identify the tunes. I will share this other recording if I see any reactions 😉

Anyway, if nobody is interested in identifying those tunes, as always I think those recording are worth to be spread around so enjoy the feed.

Thx,
Alex

Posted by .

Re: Padraic McDonnachda, Conor Tully, Franck Hogan

Well what do you know but I ID’d what I could from some of your tapes and was planning to list my findings here and see if others could fill in the blanks. Here are my findings: https://www.dropbox.com/s/svqiycoaam9yfq6/Trad%20Music%20Collection%20Tracks.txt?dl=0 I only went over the Padraic McDonnachda & Co/Joe Molloy/Eamonn Coyne & Siobhan Peoples stuff. They’re full of tunes I sort of recognize and might want to learn at some point. Padraic and Joe I did OK with but most of the Eamonn/Siobhan stuff is a mystery to me. "Too modern." ;) I know a lot of tunes but I think my repertoire is stuck in about, oh, 1983. And I likes it like that.

Thanks so much for letting us hear your tapes, Alex! Will of course download and give these new ones a spin too, or whatever you do with MP3s.

I had a listen and here´s the titles I know of (plus a couple of guesses)

Part 1.
1. George White´s Favourite/ Humours of Lissadell/Martin Wynne´s no.2
2. ? /Eel in the Sink/The Tempest/Paddy Fahey´s/ Eddie Kelly´s
3. ?
4. (a version of?)Cuigui Lasses / Cliffs of Moher
5. Boys of Bluehill
6. Plains of Boyle
7. ? /Pigeon on the Gate
8. Concert Reel/ Martin Wynne´s no.3/ Green Mt./Musical Priest
9. Patrick´s Night/Coalminer´s/Mama´s Pet/The New Policeman (Belles of Tipperary)
10. Corner House

Part 2.
1. Miss Walsh´s/Mellick Team Jig (Eddie Kelly´s)
2. Colliers Reel/Captain Kelly´s/Man of the House
3. Crowley´s #1/Ambrose Maloney´s/Beare Island
4.Harvest Moon/Ormond Sound/Paddy Kelly´s Chattering Magpie
5. Old Road to Garry/The International
6. The Gold Ring/The Rolling Wave
7. The Rainy Day/Red Tom of the Hills/Boys of Ballysodare
8. Junior Crehan´s(?)/Splendid Isolation/Maghera Mountain
9. Maid Behind the Bar (version)/Andy McGann´s/Humours of Scarriff
10. Munster Bacon/Wallop the Spot
11. Miss Lyon´s Fancy

Just listening to an old KIlfenora Ceili recording. The jig in Part 1, which I thought might be a version of "Cuigui Lasses", is titled "The Clogher Rose" by Kilfenora. Apparently also known as "The Angry Peeler".

Ok that was quick everyone 🙂 thank you very much ! What do you think about this session ? And about the repertoire ?

Posted by .

Corner House = Stoney Steps.
Always get those two mixed up!😉

" What do you think about this session ? And about the repertoire ?"

It’s 100% Irish Traditional Music, East Galway at its best, everything is right about it, it’s only missing Paddy Carty, although if I close my eyes I can hear and see him playing in that unmistakable relaxed leaning backwards style of his. yes I’m biased.

Lovely lovely music.

First reel on part 2 track 8 is indeed a Junior Crehan composition, Farewell to Milltown.

My current fvourite reel

Posted by .