About the 12-part Wise Maid version and Coleman Centre books

About the 12-part Wise Maid version and Coleman Centre books

First of all, lets talk about those Coleman Centre books I ordered few weeks ago. Please do not regard the following lines as a kind of advertisement for them but more as a customer review or a feedback.

I am completely satisfied with what I bought from them and delighted. I bought The Mountain Top, The Mountain Road and Trip To Sligo. 3 wonderful books every beginner eager to learn regional style should own !
We are talking about really good material here, clean music layout and rich history background for each tune. For a non irish musician like me, those small comments about the tunes help me to feel "connected" with the music I play.

In short, I highly recommend those 3 books. Their shipping is very effective and the staff very kind.
I know it could sound strange to buy books these days when you see all the content available here on TheSession but I think it’s a good idea to support a bit regional traditional initiatives… They are doing a really good job ! Check out their website : http://www.colemanirishmusic.com

Now, let’s talk about what I found inside those books. I found a 12-part wise maid version (haven’t checked yet if this version is currently on TheSession database). It says "as played by fiddle player Johnny ‘watt’ Henry for his brother Kevin Henry, flute player and piper, who now lives in Chicago. Kevin recorded his brother in 1962".
I’d like to know if by any chance some of you play this 12-part version in their session ? This version is very fun to play and flute friendly !

What do you think about those tunes which have extra parts ?( I am thinking about Rakish Paddy for example…) Do you play them frequently ? What about the cacophony during a session when you jump to the extra parts ?

Alex

Posted by .

Re: About the 12-part Wise Maid version and Coleman Centre books

Don’t know anything about the books but the centre itself is a wonderful memorial to Coleman and his music and well worth visiting. Highly recommend a trip there if you’re touring Ireland

It could be that it is just variations

I learned this from a tape of an old piper, Michael Gallagher, and transcribed and added it to the collection here; this is a recent comment of mine about the tune with more info about its provenance: https://thesession.org/tunes/11282#comment772550 Note that Johnny Henry played the parts in a different order than Gallagher.