Update to “popular tunes”: recently popular

Update to “popular tunes”: recently popular

I got an email with a suggestion for a feature recently:

"I was thinking, it would be awesome if you had an algorithm and list for "recently popular" tunes - similar to whatever algo you use for the current "popular" list, but weighted towards recent events"

I think that’s a good idea. The most popular tunes of all time rarely change, so the Tunes page has been showing the same list forever. I’ve tweaked it now to show the top 10 tunes from the last week i.e. the 10 tunes that have been added to the most tunebooks in the last seven days:

https://thesession.org/tunes (halfway down the page)

Interestingly, the top 10 tunes for the week look fairly similar to the top 10 tunes of all time: the usual suspects like Drowsy Maggie and Cooley’s are right up there.

Hope you like it.

Re: Update to “popular tunes”: recently popular

Wow, looks nice!

One thought I had, as a well-used "most popular" list would indeed be self-perpetuating, would be to sort by the difference between all-time popularity (excluding the recent period) and recent popularity — this would be equivalent to just subtracting off the all-time popularity (excluding the recent period), maybe multiplied by some factor < 1 if you don’t want to wipe classic tunes like Drowsy Maggie off the front page completely. :) This might then become quite "noisy" so a time period longer than a week could work..

Cheers
Jarrad

How about adding a tune’s popularity ranking and recent popularity ranking to it’s page?

One valuable thing about TheSession is that there is sufficient participation in tune-lists that you can get decent statistics on tune popularity. Presumably there is some herd behavior in pushing the popularity of popular tunes (popular leads to more popularity), and maybe tune numbers are skewed by learners rather than players.

Maybe if there were tags on the tunes in their Tunebook to indicate "Learning", "Memorized", "Session Speed", then you could run a different kind of popularity search.

Ideally, there would be some way to discover out what tunes are most popular at sessions.

Secondly, it would be interesting to see the geographical breakdown of session tunes.

I would suggest that a list of the most popular tune sets might be more useful or interesting.

Nice, and interesting indeed! It’s probably a matter of duty to add Cooley’s etc. to your tunebook as soon as you sign up… :~P

Philfy asked:
"How about adding a tune’s popularity ranking and recent popularity ranking to it’s page?"

Well, that’s kind of there already: you can see how many tunebooks the tune is in. The higher the number, the more popular it is. I know it’s not an exact ranking, but it’s enough to be able to tell its popularity, roughly.

Tom Stermitz said:
"Maybe if there were tags on the tunes in their Tunebook to indicate "Learning", "Memorized", "Session Speed", then you could run a different kind of popularity search."

Yeah, I think the ideal situation would be for a single member to be able to have multiple tunebooks. Then the tunebooks could be named "learning", "memorised", etc. Still trying to figure out the best way of doing this.

Nice feature Jeremy!
I’m wondering if the period should not be slightly extended though, a week doesn’t show me much, a month or half a year could really show trends.

Food for thought, thanks for the updates.

Posted by .

@Boyen: "I’m wondering if the period should not be slightly extended though, a week doesn’t show me much, a month or half a year could really show trends."

Hm, I’d expect that such a period would even out any such trends (even more)… such as recently added tunes which will get included in like 10 tunebooks within a couple of days, and thus might get a chance of appearing in the list. And long term trends will be reflected in the 7 days trends anyway. Would be interesting to see how many times a tune was actually added during that period though!

Boyen said:
"I’m wondering if the period should not be slightly extended though, a week doesn’t show me much, a month or half a year could really show trends."

Actually, as Sebastian points out, the opposite is true. The popular tunes for a month are more or less indistinguishable from the popular tunes of all time. You only start to see variation in shorter time scales. If anything, a week might be too long.

There are some interesting trends showing up. While most of the tunes in the weekly list also appear in the first few pages of the most popular tunes of all time, Castle Kelly is currently the third most popular tune within the last week but it’s much further down the list of most popular of all time. So that’s probably a short time trend triggered by a new setting of the tune being submitted recently.

I see. I expected that the current member base at one point has already added all the staples to their tunebooks and as such other tunes should show up. I guess the amount of new members joining the site is too large to see this then..

Posted by .

@Jeremy

Sorry to be negative, but wouldn’t be better to start again and arrange for "popularity" to be determined at "setting" level rather than at "tune" level"?.

Advantages:

1) Rather than adding a tune to their tunebook (and getting all the settings, most of which they probably don’t want) instead members could have an option to add a setting to their tunebook.

2) Newcomers to traditional music would then get a idea of what is the most popular setting - in other words, the setting that they would be most likely to encounter if they turned up to a real session.

3) Posters of subsequent settings would receive notifications on their particular setting. (I think that I’m correct in saying that only the poster of the initial setting currently gets a notification).

Another thing that I would really like to see is "new" initial settings being listed separately from "new" subsequent settings. Since you allowed multiple settings (and unlimited submissions per member per day) the initial settings are disappearing "off the radar" before folks have time to review them. Valuable background information just isn’t being posted like it used to be, which is a shame.

For the "recently popular" tunes, should it not say "Drowsy Maggie…added to 16 tunebooks", rather than "in"?

I have always struggled with becoming a super über trendy ceili monster. My algorithm’s antiquity interface keeps jamming with accuracy within two tunes of the "other tune" and "unknowns" and I’m glad to have a reliable place to collect data while synchronizing and accumulating from two sources of Diddley bits twice removed

Seriously jeremy, your data bites have educated the next generation for a decade. Keep up the good work.

Posted .

Why is this being announced under Discussions?

In my humble opinion I’ve always felt the less popular categories deserve equal attention.
Yet for the majority of Mustard members their default homepage has always been ‘here’.

My guess is the small, aging group who control Tunes & Recordings do not want to see their tab become a homepage for the masses. I think it’s time *we* not merely limit ourselves to general topics & trends.
We could have a homepage specifically about tunes.

Oh, gawd! Who am I kidding.

Carry on.

Posted by .

What @Mix said. Advantage 4) The option to print your tunebook would start to actually make sense. But I think we’ve been there before… :~/ If Jeremy uses a relational database, this might not be trivial, to say the least…

@Jeremy: "If anything, a week might be too long."

Still, it’s interesting to see some movement in the list. :~) Maybe you could extend it just a little bit to accommodate "newcomers". Or better still: when you click the "» popular tunes…" link, you get the full, paginated list (as usual), but you can optionally specify the period with a query string (maybe using PHP’s strtotime, like "?since=3+days+ago", "?since=all+time" …). This way you’d not have to clutter the GUI, but still provide a relatively intuitive interface for anyone interested. Perhaps you might even save the string in a cookie or something, so that the specified period will become the user’s new default on the main /tunes page (if for the current session only to avoid confusion when someone accidentally changes the query). Just an idea though. (~:

@sebastian the m̈egafrog: "Would be interesting to see how many times a tune was actually added during that period though!"

If you’d care to have a closer look, that’s actually displayed right beneath the tune names already. D’oh on you! }:~)