I need suggestions for miserable jigs to add to my collection

I need suggestions for miserable jigs to add to my collection

I had some good suggestions for reels and especially hornpipes from yall.

So since I have been neglecting jigs for long time now I would like suggestions for equally sullen tunes in this style. I just dont find myself motivated to play the gay. in the original sense of the word. diddle dee dee tunes.

Re: I need suggestions for miserable jigs to add to my collection

Two good ones everyone knows, the butterfly and the road to lisdoonvarna.

The Monaghan Jig, if played in a slow and brooding manner. The Old Grey Goose might work too.

I have just learned this lovely modal Paddy Fahey jig

https://thesession.org/tunes/532

which I have put before Lilting Banshee/Up in the air which gives a pleasingly minorish progression through from GDor/ ADor and Bminor.

Like you I gravitate towards the minor/modal tunes for reasons which much expensive therapy has yet to reveal.

To evoke the degree of misery you are seeking you will need to start adjusting your intonation. Listen to Bobby Casey. Take jigs in D mix and experiment with flattening your f#s and sharpening your c nats. There’s a few years’ work for you right there.

ye I do like crabs in the skillet but I don’t think I could play it with a clear conscience with a title which is about boiling some poor animal alive. Or do they kill them first?

Ah forgot all about the white petticoat 🙂 I can’t recall it off hand but I do remember it was on my list of good gloomies. So if your other recomendations are on the same lines I shall be most satisfied. Coleraine is another one I used to play but fell out of rotation. So this is serving as a good refresher session.

There’s another good 3 or so parter that I used to play from O’neils. The name escapes me but it sounds like a sea shanty. Any one know which I’m talking about. I’ll have to dig up the good yellow book to jog my memory.

I too am looking for gloomy hornpipes. Something about it’s bouncy rhythm makes them somewhat inherently jovial it seems

You could try the Orphan - https://thesession.org/tunes/217

I mean with a name like that it’s bound to invoke misery, though it is a lovely, broody jig.

Posted by .

[I too am looking for gloomy hornpipes. Something about it’s bouncy rhythm makes them somewhat inherently jovial it seems]

I do not agree. Check the suggestions in my recent thread just for melancholy hornpipes.

well I was aware of that video of course hence the title. but which version on the session are the closest to what our Kev is playing? It can be rather laborious going through all the different settings and sheet music though I usually just look for the one with least ornamentation or long notes and whichever is in the most ‘dark’ key.

Saddest title on the planet: An Irish Widow’s Lament On The Death Of Her Only Son, 3/4 time..

[Saddest title on the planet: An Irish Widow’s Lament On The Death Of Her Only Son, 3/4 time..]

That isn’t a jig

I pretty much hate strayaway child. Such a rudimentary and uninteresting note sequence.

How about the Sailor’s Wife? That always sounds dreadfully melancholy when I play it…
https://thesession.org/tunes/3140

^sounds up my alley going the midi. cheers

[How about the Sailor’s Wife? That always sounds dreadfully melancholy when I play it…]

Wow! I just played it and I love it!!!! you are the winner sir! can anyone else match or top this awesome suggestion?

hmm actually there might be other good ones above. gotta go back through this thread properly

tracks 2 and 4 from Dan Gurney’s first CD might fit the bill:

https://thesession.org/recordings/4189

Contentment Is Wealth
Tae In The Bog

Return To Burton Road
I Buried My Wife And Danced On Her Grave

Slip Jig: Night before Larry got Stretched
Preferably in Gm for more misery and played slowly
https://thesession.org/tunes/4712

[[How about the Sailor’s Wife? That always sounds dreadfully melancholy when I play it…]

Wow! I just played it and I love it!!!! you are the winner sir! can anyone else match or top this awesome suggestion?]
Madam actually - but you’re welcome 🙂
I love it. When I can play it properly that is….

Young Tom Ennis (you’ll find it in O’Neill’s) can reduce people to tears (or maybe it’s the way I play it).

[Slip Jig: Night before Larry got Stretched]

What does stretched refer to? sounds like some medieval torture. I havent found a reference to stretching so far in my cursory G search.

"Stretched" means hanged by the neck until dead.

yes I gathered it once I read the comments from the tune when someone posted the lyrics to the song.

I wonder do you think some of these tunes are old enough that the titles actually refer to a similar event that happened at the time?

@Arthur Gondolor:

I suppose it’s possible that the crabs in Crabs In The Skillet are/were crab-apples, not the creatures out of the sea. Crab-apples are small, sour wild apples. Maybe they’re edible stewed with enough sugar etc., but I have never tried them.