Seisuns in New Orleans?

Seisuns in New Orleans?

Anyone know of any seisuns in or nearby New Orleans? Planning a visit and would love to get some tunes in!
thanks

Re: Seisuns in New Orleans?

Sessions. There’s no such thing as Seisuns. 😉

Seisiún?

Celtic jams. 😎

Is that jam made with four-leaf clover?

Posted by .

Thanks for your help Frank LeHouillier!

@ el heed.

No. The fada doesnt help. Its a personal bugbear of mine. Now, granted, I’ve never been to the Big Easy, and maybe things are different there, but outside of the context of gaelgeorí ag úsáid an teanga, I’ve never once in all my time playing trad heard an Irish person, speaking English, refer to a bunch of people gathering to play tunes as a ‘Seisiún’. It doesn’t happen. Its on the same list of things we don’t sing or say as: begorrah, top o’ the mornin’ to ye, Patty’s Day, Danny Boy, and the Unicorn Song. Among that company, its a minor offender, but an offender nonetheless! Very cringey, and tends to make one’s teeth itch.

🙂

Since it’s a "gaelicisation" of an originally english word, there’s absolutely no reason to use it in the english language… unless people are trying to be more-irish-than-thou.

Posted by .

And yet they do…. 🙁

Wow that’s interesting guys— to each their own I suppose. I’ve been playing and teaching for over 20 years and I’ve always referred to seisuns as such.

I’ve heard it used from time to time on Clare FM’s The West Wind broadcast… well, I assume they are using it, since they are talking about sessions but pronounce it "seh-SHOON" but maybe it’s just being playful or ironic. I’ve heard Comhaltas folks use it here in the US and I’m pretty sure it shows up in Treoir. Speaking of being "more Irish than thou" 🙂

S’ok. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things!

Tell us, though… Do you, or have you ever, played Danny Boy and/or the Unicorn Song? How would you greet me if we met in the morning? On Paddy’s or Patty’s Day? Do you own an aran jumper*?

* Jumper is Irish for sweater. It’s fine to use that one.

🙂

@ joe

Not surprising it shows up in Treoir, what with Comhaltas being the musical wing of the Legion of Mary.

What instrument do you play "himself"?

I do own an Arran jumper, and Mary help me I got it on Inishmor. But I never wear it to a seisún, that’s just a little too ‘dress-up’ for me.

Those feckin’ jumpers. You don’t wear them, so much as inhabit them…

@ fiddlefamily

Why, Nepalese nosewhistle, of course! Doesn’t everybody?

It does seem weird to use the foreign spelling of an English word when speaking English.

Seisuns? sessions? forget all that, take a boat trip into the bayous, you might spot some gators
tho’ its early yet, they might still be asleep, get yourself to Mulates, eat some catfish po’boys or shrimp gumbo
and listen to some damn fine Cajun music. One of the best times I ever had.

Laissez le bon temps rouler!

Si!

Sessions in New Orleans?

Gonna have to take a little trip.

Someone already mentioned the session at Irish House New Orleans every Monday night at 7pm. It usually draws a good group-8 to 12 regulars and often musicians passing through town. Here’s a vimeo link to a session around St. Patrick’s day at Irish House a few years ago (a larger group than usual with visiting musicians):

https://vimeo.com/61939296

There’s also a monthly session at the Kerry Irish Pub on Decatur Street in the French Quarter. It’s on Sunday evenings at 5:30 pm but only once a month and irregular at that. Hope that helps.