Irish button accordion forum

Irish button accordion forum

Anyone want to set up a dedicated forum for talking box? I wrote a lengthy post about this which thesession.org promptly erased, which is another reason for me to never post here again…;)

Re: Irish button accordion forum

You could always hop over to melnet… There are some Irish box players that post there. There is talk of morris though ๐Ÿ™‚

If you did set one up, I don’t think you’d get enough traffic on it for it to be self-sustaining, Kevin.

As evidence let me cite: a) the two yahoo groups dedicated to Irish box that were both brain-dead long before groups of that type faded into oblivion. b) the one I set one up on chiff and fipple a dozen years, which petered out into a moribund state very quickly. c) the group on fb where practically all anyone does is post YT clips and death notices. d) melodeon.net which is generally quite friendly, but has a handful of people who seem to be bemused or irritated by Irish content and have driven away several knowledgeable people with inane, ignorant or patronising comments.

I have concluded that Irish box players are a very un-nerdy bunch who are not that interested in talking about boxes for talking’s sake. I reckon this (thesession.org) is probably the best place for occasional discussions. But don’t let me stop you trying to get one going - I’ll waste some time there if you do. ๐Ÿ™‚

Un nerdy ? Your honour I refer you to the recent thread here "New to box" that ended up with the number of push pulls for each tune being counted per box with the C#D vs BC being compared. Come on Stiamh, interesting yes but Un nerdy my R’s ๐Ÿ˜‰ I rest my case. AtB

Posted by .

I agree with Stiamh. But keep us posted Kevin.

Perhaps we could have a separate forum for each button?

(My flight leaves in 10 mins) ๐Ÿ™‚

I would like this

Didn’t know you were the instigator for the C&F board, Steve. That one wasn’t helped by how the board was for anything free reed in nature, thus you had concertinas, pitch pipes, etc.

I tried to get a subforum for ITM going on melnet but no one went for it. Didn’t realize they were alienating people, that one guy with the Irish bit in his signature seemed a bit sensitive in the first place. Dunno about hostile environments, I’d just like a dedicated Irish box forum where the comments aren’t all about capers or using the accidental buttons, et al. Or whatever Chris Ryall does. Still haven’t figured that out. Something involving the blues. I think. ;)

There’s a website for B/C/C# players, too. It’s a bit of a ghost town as well, Bill Young runs it and was griping about that recently. But that’s a much more niche instrument. We could at least try. The software they use, Simple Machines, is supposed to be pretty self explanatory. According to techies…well maybe I’ll download it and futz around.

Yahoo Groups are the worst, I’m part of a group for fans of jazz singers and everything about the layout just makes me wince. They refuse to move, too. Not a surprise that the box groups crashed and burned.

I think its great idea, I’ve been looking for such a group for a while now. ‘Banjo Hang Out’ has recently set up an ‘Irish tenor banjo group on its web page and I have been following that too.
I recently bought a Garvey AAA box in B/C and I can squeeze tunes out of it in B or C but I’m struggling playing accross the rows in D.