ABC to sheet music converter

ABC to sheet music converter

Does anyone have a simple free program to convert from ABC to sheet music?
I think I used to use something on concertina.net but it doesn’t seem to be there?
Thanks,
Patrick

Posted by .

Re: ABC to sheet music converter

For PC.. ABC Explorer. Free and will make PDFs for single tunes or whole tunebooks. I use Tunebook , an app for ipad. Around £2.50 and very useful. See the abc notation home page for other platforms..

I use the program at https://musescore.org/
It’s helped me learn to read. It’s free, I think it’s PC as well as Mac. Download the program and then at the top right of the window alongside file, edit, view etc check out plugins/abc import. There’s an experimental part where you can upload .pngs and maybe .jpgs from old manuscripts and convert and play them too -doesn’t always work though. :) Good luck. (thesession.org’s a great resource)

I use AbcNavigator for this sort of job. Well recommended (by me.)

Chris B.

EasyABC real easy to install on a Mac, on the PC you have to install Ghostscript as well. I haven’t done a Linux install of it so I can’t say if it’s difficult or not. It’s free though and actively supported. ABC Explorer has a full color text editor which is a nice feature.

EasyABC is fine on Windows as well.

"EasyABC is fine on Windows as well."

I should have qualified my Ghostscript remark. I didn’t have any trouble using EasyABC on my W7 installation under VMWare on my Macintrash but I couldn’t get Ghostscript to install and work within my virtual PC environment so I couldn’t export to pdf. I didn’t try to export to .png or any other image format. This is what happens when you’re too cheap to own two computers or you just don’t want to boot into another operating system.

EasyABC runs well under Windows and is perhaps the best for writing with ABC notation as it’s much more responsive than others I’ve used. Tunes can be exported as pdf, html or svg, but strangely not as jpg or png.

I’ve used ABC Explorer for many years, but it feels clumsy when writing notations and often times out when exporting tunes or tunebooks, however it will produce jpgs and pngs (which are smaller than jpgs and lossless).

Both apps install the required ghostscript on PCs.

I ‘m still using a PPC Mac - so I use BarFly, which has sheet music printing built in.