Music notation applications - inter-readability

Music notation applications - inter-readability

I use a fairly old music notation programme called MusicTime deLuxe (v. 3.5) which is probably a bit limited by modern standards, but it has suited me well for a long time. I have it working on on the Windows 7 operating system, and swap files with someone who has it on a Linux platform. I worry that when I have to get a new PC, it will come bundled with Windows 10, and the problem is that I’ve found that both my version of MT and the subsequent one (v. 4.0) don’t like Windows 10. Although the manufacturers advertise v. 4.0 as W10-compatible, I have found this not to be the case.

I have hundreds of tunes written in MT de L 3.5, and would like to know if any other notation programme can read or translate MT files. Clearly, I don’t want to lose my library, so it would help if I could migrate the files to a more convenient & sustainable programme. Any knowledgeable people out there?

Posted by .

Re: Music notation applications - inter-readability

MusicXML makes a pretty good case for maximum portability between applications. However, I can’t find a notice of MT deL3.5 being compatible. I shudder to think how much work it would be to export everything to MIDI and reimport to a new notation tool.

If you search for your software on Amazon, you can ask the question under Customer Questions and Answers section. I’ve had a quick look and there is a similar question. I think you will have to be logged in.

Posted by .

Is the file extension .mus?
You might try Myriad’s Harmony Assistant or Melody Assistant. I’m thinking your biggest problem will be due to your having an earlier version of MusicTime (3.5), working under Windows 7, may create issues trying to import the files into a newer/different application. And it’s not MusicTime; so there’s a *conversion*. {i.e. ~ the potential for some loss of your original work}

Good luck! Check out the info @ Myriad;
http://www.myriad-online.com/resources/docs/melody/english/faqfilegeneral.htm

Posted by .

Can you post a link to a file (and maybe a pdf of same) so those of us with different software can have a go? The obvious one as someone said above, is to export to MIDI and then open in another program but for hundreds…don’t know. But maybe a file might lead to a potential solution.

Hi Bazza,

Harmony Assistant (as mentioned by Na éisc above) is able to import MusicTime files (*.mus).

I own Harmony Assistant. Here is an extract from the documentation :

{"Ensure this file has actually been created using Melody/Harmony Assistant. Even if the file extension (last characters) is .MUS, it might be not enough. Many music programs use this extension, but each file can only be read by the application that created it.

***Please note however that Harmony Assistant imports directly Finale® and MusicTime® ".mus" files.***

If you can’t succeed in importing them and you own Harmony Assistant, ask your friend to export his score in MusicXML format if he can.
The last option will be to ask your friend to export his score in MIDI format, then import it in Melody or Harmony Assistant. Despite its weaknesses, MIDI format remain the only usable interchange format between almost all music programs."}

I know the wording is a little bit odd, but after all the company is in Frongs :)

I’ve imported just about every imaginable music format into Harmony Assistant, with good results, although with some software you have to do a MusicXML export first, then import the MusicXML files in.

If you want to test it, you could send me one of your files and I’ll try to import it into Harmony Assistant.

Have no fear,I was told the same Musictime Deluxe 3.5 would not work. All my music scores from way back 100s were on an external drive. I bought a laptop with a free upgrade to windows 10. Used my trusty old Musictime disc and it loaded the program, it works perfectly, Writes the Scores,Prints and plays the music through the on board midi Go for it ..though I would do a back up of all your tunes onto some external device.
Best of Luck Alex

Change Compatibility Mode Settings In Windows 10