How long before the tin whistle starts to drip spit?

How long before the tin whistle starts to drip spit?

I would like to maybe start learning it for when Im out and about but if the spit starts dripping before even one tune is over I think it would be too embarrassing.

Are there not filters you can put in to absorb it so it would not drip or would it spoil the sound too much?

I like that you can take it with you anywhere and whip it out wherever you are should the mood take you. busstops, waiting rooms and the like.

Re: How long before the tin whistle starts to drip spit?

That’s the spirit, Arthur. It is a handy, compact instrument easy to take with you.
Do you have a tin whistle?

Posted by .

Drip away, it’s just condensation.

I depends on your level of sobriety. If it troubles you, you may be underserved

You could talk to a pipe-maker about having a close-ended whistle, but I don’t know if it would work without a reed. Probably the intonation would be affected as any level of fluid rose above the closed end !

Five pints, give or take.

Last year at a session at the festival in Drumshanbo there were two girls playing flute who had miniature plastic buckets with magnetic handles attached to the ends of their flutes. It got plenty of laughs and people taking photos πŸ˜€

It’s condensation, and it depends on the player. Why don’t you just start playing and find out?

Shake it on the floor after each tune or put a beer drip mat across your knee

how many differnet whistles do you have to buy to play different tunes? because each one only plays a limited range right.

yuck the bucket makes it eve nmore disgusting a thought.

perhaps some kind of vacuum exhaust at the top to suck it out before it reaches teh bottom :P

A D whistle will sort you out for the vast majority of Irish session playing. Eb sessions do exist, but they’re few and far between. Any tunes that you can’t do on a D whistle just means it’s time to sit and listen, or go to the bar / toilet / smoke (if you’re so inclined). C, B or Bb whistles are more mellow and nicer for playing at home though so I think it’s worth buying at least one of those too.

The drip from the whistle is handy if you end up sitting beside a numpty who is ruining the session by noodling / playing out of time etc. You simply angle the end of the whistle over their pint and wait for it to drip.

Would blue tacking some toilet paper on the inside work or would that muffle the sound? Not alot to close the gap but enough to go around once and absorb enough for a couple of tunes at least.

Im so squimish about that stuff :D.

Boards had been getting boring. Thanks Arthur for enlivening thing again, as usual.

πŸ™‚

Hmm maybe if I get a cloth and clean the whisle between every tune I could prevent the drip from ever accumulating enough to drop. Though gotta watch out for those long tunes like colonel frasers and jennies.

I will keep to short tunes on the whistle and keep the long ones on the fiddle πŸ™‚

Just get over the embarrassing drippage and drool away! Or wear dark clothing so the drippage is less obvious on those heavy-flow days… Also, I think "condensation" is what we whistlers like to tell other musicians just to make ourselves feel better. Just be thankful you’re not a side-blown instrument and dripping on someone else (the decency of it!) ;) #notallflutes #whistleproblems

Posted by .

Something like this would solve the problem: https://youtu.be/EaJFvQVdoVo

You would just need several whistles in a line with holes blocked off to make the required notes. No saliva involved!

OMG! I am fairly new to whistle but have been on flute for many years, a backwards kind of arrangement. And you are concerned about dripping spit? Well, get used to it. I spread a couple of sheets of newspaper out to my side on the floor and after a few hours of playing the newspaper is fairly soggy. And if the flute seems somewhat clogged then close all of the tone holes and BLOW it dry, a rain shower into the air. Stringed instruments do not have such issues, but flutes indeed do.

When you can put a rain shower into the air every day then you know you are doing it right.

Point the bottom end of the whistle towards your groin and your trousers will catch any drips. Problem solved. If anyone asks, just ignore them and keep playing.

I’m more worried about the ‘whipping it out whenever the mood takes you’-part…

You should see the puddles the brass players make!

Before the tin whistle starts to drip?! 😲

Wind instruments are intimately connected with your mouth, lips, moisture from condensation & salivation.
It’s part of what we are. If you’re going to pucker and blow, something’s bound to get wet. Prepare in
any way which helps ease your mind, or not. But if you’re squeamish, Arthur, plan ahead.
Remember to, ‘dump your spit regularly; as often as you feel necessary.’
~ https://cosmolearning.org/video-lectures/emptying-the-spit-valve-on-a-french-horn/

Posted by .

I think it’s important to embrace the drip, if you want to play these things.

When I was starting to learn Irish flute (and this still applies), I never felt I was spending enough time practicing unless there was a healthy amount of condensation that dripped on my right leg, or had to be blown out when the flute started to sound a bit "fluffy" and weak.

It’s just that bit about blowing out the flute that I’m not sure about in public sessions… whether a discrete but hard-blown "CHUFF" through the embouchure and a resulting mist aimed down at the floor, to the right of my chair is acceptable, or not. I guess it doesn’t really matter, because I can’t stand the way the flute sounds if I don’t do that.

nope sorry I just cant get used to the idea; the thought makes me almst gag any time I think of it. aborting this idea and sticking to my trusty arid string instrument.

It could be spit and not condensation if you are looking at the floor too much. Keeping your chin up can reduce spillage. Although, even though it is condensation, it is condensation of the vapors from your breath, which is basically vaporized spit. So no matter what it is called, as far as I am concerned, it is still spit! πŸ˜‰
Watch a brass band between tunes sometime, especially on a cold day. When they open their spit valves, the lower brass can be like horses.

Re: How long before everything starts to drip spit?

This is too funny. Forget sessions vs. performance, ears vs. dot, cut time vs 4/4, etc.
Now spit and condensation are getting special attention.
Frankly, it doesn’t matter. Some wind players are squeamish about such things but they usually find a way to deal with it because they want to play on their chosen instruments. But alot of us accept, even embrace, the range of sounds, fluids & other things which flow out of our instrument’s holes.

Is it spit or condensation?
It’s both.

Spit, drool, saliva; work their way down the barrel of flutes & whistles but they’re more viscous than vaporous. In fipple flutes the block & windway will catch most of it, probably what AlBrown is saying about keeping your chin up. Condensation, on the other hand, happens when exhaled air contacts lower pressure, cooler air and produces moisture on a cool surface. That is not spit.

What is spit?
I’m no expert but I believe it is what’s secreted in our mouth by the *salivary glands*.

" Salivary glands are made up of secretory acini (acini - means a rounded secretory unit) and ducts. There are two types of secretions - serous and mucous. The acini can either be serous, mucous, or a mixture of serous and mucous."
http://www.histology.leeds.ac.uk/oral/salivary.php

I’m just speculating about condensation but I think it probably does exceed the amount of spit, drool, saliva.. wind players produce. Greatly exceeds. It should come as no surprise that brass players are wetter than other wind players, that instruments w/more twists become more wet than straight tube types. Of course there is going to be condensation. Regardless of how much spit (& condensation) a tin whistler drips it’s minute compared to the reservoir of condensation (etc.) held behind a brass player’s *spit* valve.

Posted by .

Pity the poor oboistas.

What you have to do is tilt your head right back while playing and point the whistle at the ceiling so it all runs back into your mouth. Sorted!
If you fix some binoculars to your eyes with some handy duct tape you can watch for UFOs at the same time and alert the authorities to impending Earth attack. However this would involve asking the landlord/lady if you could saw or drill through the floor above plus the roof so you could actually see the sky.

*it’s important to embrace the drip* I love that!
I remember playing tunes at home with some friends. We had pizza ordered. In the middle of a set of tunes I saw the piper’s eyes widen - staring in horror at the "business end" of my flute which was above one of the open pizza boxes - watching that big drop form…

Embrace the drip and the pizza (cake, pint,…) will be yours πŸ˜‰
(and find yourself some friends who are obsessed enough about tunes to sacrifice that pizza. That’s harder with pints, though)

By the way: Spit (or as we like to call it *condensation*) dripping out of (newish) brass whistles can leave permanent stains on your trousers….

Posted by .