London this weekend

London this weekend

Hallo, I’m going to central London (UK) tomorrow through Sunday morning.
Can anyone recommend a music shop with an ITM section that I can wander through / peruse ?
I’ve looked at the sessions in London but can’t spot any on Fri/Sat night, any advance ?
Thanks, Rosie.

Re: London this weekend

Are you looking for instruments/books or recorded music?

If it’s instruments or books you’re after, there’s Hobgoblin, a stone’s throw from Tottenham Court Road tube station
http://www.hobgoblin.com/shops/london/

I have no idea how good it is, or what kind of collection of Irish trad-related stuff they have, but it has a special place in my heart because I stumbled upon it after being in London for a day or two coming to the end of a long backpacking trip, and on impulse I bought a cheapo tin whistle which (although I didn’t realise at the time) would start me down the long and winding road into the heart of Irish music that I’ve been travelling ever since!

Hi there, Hobgoblin on Denmark st. would be your best bet, haven’t seen any shops with a specific Irish section though. As for sessions, we’re playing at the Colin Campbell on Kilburn high road on Friday from 9 pm (near Brodensbury overground station and Kilburn tube), plenty of other sessions too.

It’s a LONG time since I lived/worked in London so I have no idea about sessions there - I’m sure someone else will be along to help out soon 🙂

… cross post - someone already has been along to help!

The only shop I can think of is Hobgoblin not really ITM more folk selling mainly instruments - what are you after?
Hobgoblin Music London
24 Rathbone Place
London, W1T 1JA
020 7323 9040
Open until 18:00

Some London sessions here (probably the better ones) but check with the venue first - http://irishtrad.org/

Thanks for all the help fellas. This is great.
I’ll head to Hobgoblin for sure and drop by one of the sessions. Rosie.

One nice thing about Hobgoblin is that the staff never mind me trying out as many instruments I like for as long as I like. I’ve sometimes felt a bit embarrassed about the amount of time I spent playing a very nice luthier-made guitar (well out of my price range). But yes, a great shop.