June McCormack, flute player

June McCormack, flute player

In November of 2011, Blayne Chastain and I had the opportunity to go to Ireland for 10 days to film flute players for our documentary, “The Keymaster: Patrick Olwell’s Story”. We met and interviewed 14 flute players, traveled over 1,000Km, and had one of the most memorable trips of our lives.

Our second stop that day was at the home of June McCormack, a flute player from BallyTogher, County Sligo. She had not only agreed to the interview and filming, but offered to put us up for the night. A lovely stone cottage overlooking rolling hills and fields, with peat fire roaring in the fireplace, was our personal B&B for the night. And best of all, it came with amazing tunes from a lovely player with roots deep in the tradition.

I hope you enjoy watching and listening, and if you do, please visit our Vimeo link vimeo.com/ondemand/keymaster to watch the trailer. “The Keymaster: Patrick Olwell’s Story” is available there as a download, or on DVD and Blu-ray from irishflutestore.com

https://vimeo.com/162962433

Re: June McCormack, flute player

Well that was quite a pleasant morning treat. Thanks!

My pleasure!

Even the poshest 5-star hotel doesn’t come with a resident top-drawer trad flute player.

Beautiful playing!

lovely playing, interesting lady - anyone have the name of the 2nd reel she played? I have a distant
memory of Matt Molloy playing it with the Bothys

christy taylor,

The second tune is The Humours of Loughrea. Paddy Keenan, not Matt Molloy, played it in the middle of the "Laurel Tree" set on "Old Hag You Have Killed Me."

In any event, that’s very good flute playing in the video.

Posted by .

thanks Steve - I knew it was somewhere on ‘Old Hag’

Thanks, lovely music - must have been a very memorable trip for yous. Nothing like meeting people in the flesh and with time to chat etc.

Posted .

i am disapointed… At first i thought it was a documentary about June McCormack. I bought the one about olwell craftmanship and loved it. june deserve the same

Posted by .

Sorry for your disappointment, I would *love* to do documentaries about the best Irish trad players in the world, but as always, it comes down to time and money. If I had both I would be there right now filming, trust me…so all you Documentary Producers out there who are ready to finance another trip to Ireland to get these stories on film, drop me a note!

Very nice Jem. Thanks.

Is that masking tape to keep the D# key closed? I don’t remember seeing that in the Olwell video.

Posted by .

Ailin, I think she mentioned something about getting a bit stronger tone by doing that, but I could be misremembering also, it’s been a while!

Thank you Jen, and yes June would be a very worthy subject for a future trip!