cuts and bowed triplets

cuts and bowed triplets

Came across these terms in member profile, along with "roll". As a beginner, am struggling with rolls right now, but have not yet run into cuts or bowed triplets. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks

Re: cuts and bowed triplets

What we need here is Will, but he’s just gone off for the weekend and part of next week. You can do a search for his pearls of wisdom on cuts and bowed triplets by using the search capacity of the Discussion boards, but here goes:

A cut for a fiddler is a note that is struck in front of the main note, not unlike a grace note, but sharper and more percussive, sort of a {d}c kind of thing. There are cuts that interrupt two same notes, so it’s a, say, c{d}c , and those are often bowed in one bow rather than switching directions. To perform a cut properly, the finger lifts fairly high and then comes down quickly on the string, pulling into the palm — it’s not so much the hammer down onto the string as it is the quickness of the movement.

Bowed triplets are exactly that — a quick triplet that is bowed either UDU or DUD. The notes can either all be the same (it’s a common way to ornament an open string, for instance) or in a run of any sort of notes (123, 321, 121, 131, whatever). There’s a certain kind of bowed triplet that is very scratchy and rhythmic, that sort of Tommy People’s thing, and people spend a lot of time trying to get it. (And Tommy swears up and down that he does NOT hit the bow with his pinky. I watched him from two feet away recently. He doesn’t.)

Hope that helps — but definitely use the search engine. We had some interesting discussions back in the first couple of hundred threads on bowed triplets.

followed you up Zina from Argentina, on an earlier suggestion: I "search-tabbed" the discussion board and came up with many related discussions, including early interactions between yourself and Will pussyfooting around so gently, testing the waters.. "oh will(iam) I so look forward to your responses.. U are so wise!!" haha only joking gal, as you say - that was then, now is now, it’s what the hell and throw yerself into the fray!

Will says: "Gee it sure is intersting to watch this Board grow" Mark yer words me man.. ain’t it gone jes’ a bit swarthy?

how many members now Jeremy?

oh yes. sorry, to the subject at hand: Bowed Triplets. Ain’t they jus’ exactly the right texture though? (tommy peoples was i think my first irish influence personally)

*schlooch* @ the "oh will(iam)…" bit

I doubt I ever said "Oh, Will" in a particular fashion other than rolling my eyes sarcastically. *grin* But he is wise, even if he’ll tell you he’s not, and I always look forward to his posts.

Will and I have become friends of the "you mean, we haven’t been friends all our lives?" sort, which is an unexpected and unlooked-for mitzvah. There’s only a handful of people I can think of that I would call in the middle of the night for help, but Will is one of them. I’ve got Jeremy Keith to thank for that, so Jeremy’s owed some serious juju of a positive sort from me, that’s for sure.

(I can say all this stuff about him because he’s out of town. *grin*)

Um. Argentina? Swarthy? Vboyd, have you ever considered maybe dropping your dosage?

haha ..well what else rhymes with zina besides concertina? (i get harmonica veronica)

so.. not that it matters but i spent like an hour and a half just now scribing and crafting a delightful (if i say so meself) intro to a discussion titled "GAME: match codename to realname, bonus points for Place, supersize with instrument.." and i was just editing it and so i press "Back" and out into cyber-nowhereland " goes the whole kit.. so anyway, not to complai=ain about this medium or anything, but i did come up with an opening ditty that went Zina is zina from argentina.,, no not e=reallym i think she is from Denver or Sacramento os somewhere’ then i went on to list a gawdawful large amount of members and included fine factual tidbits abi-out each one ,, uh from my own schotishhishly imebriated perspective of course.. anyway I ended up with a grotesquely long and mostly ill-informed list, after which i suggested to Jeremy a new Tab in the Members department, called comments whereby anyone could add any comment to the member’s profile that they wished to add "He is an eejit" "je enjoys bongage" "her garden was bulldozed" "he lives in Lubbock Texas" "she is friends with dAnny" " he and she flirt a lot" They live in the same town" "he palys a kazoo in his bathroom" " she has black/red/yellow hair.. etc etc..

Dosme of the member profiles are sparse. i agree we can glean info by reading (and reading and reading) but why not just have the person served up on a spit? er plate?

um what was tghe topic again? oh yes.. your oh william.. check out your contribution to the Nov 2001 thread on bowed triplets…..

i would kerect my speelling if i only cud rekognize the miyakes!!

sorry to all readers: i will, truly, try to be more careful with the placing of digits on the digereedoo

Wow. That’s pretty abstract even for you, veronica! Anyway, gerry, Zina explained cuts and triplets, rolls are like cuts but faster and you use two finger movements instead of one. For example, the "notes" would be B{dBA}B. Except you shouldn’t hear actual notes, but a moment of controlled chaos. The best way to learn ornaments is to get someone to show you. It’s next to impossible to explain. Many musical gurus will tell you to practice, practice, practice ornaments, one note at a time, ascending up or down the strings, but I find that boring. I usually pick a tune that begs for ornaments and practice them in the context of a tune. Morrison’s Jig, for example, just can’t be done without rolls, and Dinky’s Reel can’t be done without triplets.

"Abstract" is a nice gentle word for it, Kerri…

Well, some people just think so far outside the box they don’t even know there IS a box. It’s nothing to be ashamed of… How was the party? When is the next one?

The party was fun, in fact, I’d go so far as to say it was a blast. Missing friends were toasted (ahem), and we hope Arcadia was good to you. The next party, alas, takes place without me, and happens in the Catskills. Emily, Joyce, Andee, Susan, Bob, Jason, Damon, Myron, Jeff, and more, all in the same place, more or less. Mayhem indeed, if I could be there, I would.