Right thumb pressure on the box

Right thumb pressure on the box

Question for box players- when you push the bellows in, do you push back with your right thumb to keep the box steady? Is it OK to have pressure on that thumb? It’s still mobile enough that I can slide it up and down the groove.

Re: Right thumb pressure on the box

I play C#/D and one row D with one strap, so I definitely brace the box with my thumb on the press, then the strap does the job on the draw. With a thumbstrap you use the thumb for both. I gave that up since it wears out my thumb and limits the hand position flexibility (for me - I know many players do great stuff with thumbstraps.) Ideally the keyboard should stay in one place. Another way to do that is with two straps to hold the box completely steady, freeing the thumb to even play some notes if you like.

The thumb doesn’t press at all really, it just is there as a reference, to keep the hand steady. If you’re finding you need to squeeze hard to get the box to sound its reeds might need looking at.

I play with a single strap, not a thumb strap. I rest my thumb on the edge but I don’t press. I think that pressing would make it difficult to move up and down the keyboard. I usually try to put the box outside of my left leg and between that and my left hand I don’t really need the right hand to steady it.

I one of those rare folks who plays with two straps, so my thumb doesn’t need to exert much pressure at all to keep the box in place.