Pirastro Strings.

Pirastro Strings.

Hi All,
I’m about ready to change the strings on th’owd fiddle,and have fancied trying the Pirastro products on the market.My question, if you would be kind enough to offer your thoughts, is which to try, and what the various qualities of the Evah Pirazzi and the Tonica’s. I’m not looking for major volume nor do I want a sound that’s too bright. My fiddle plays well with Dominants, and they give the mellow well rounded tone i’m looking for. It may be a case of "if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it", but i’ve nothing to gauge the sound with if I don’t try other types of string. Your thoughts, if you’d be so kind, ladies and gentlemen. Also, what about the E? My string shop are currently recommending that I use a Golden Spiral E with the Dominants instead of the Thomastik wound E.
Thanks, in anticipation.

Re: Pirastro Strings.

Hmm, just my two cents, but I would go for an E string that is not gold. Gold E strings tend to squeak more when making a quick string crossing more so than the steel-wire ones. Plus, they are usually more expensive. I like the Corelli Alliance E string, which doesn’t sound too bright, for my fiddle. It’s just a steel wire, but works nicely. Just try a bunch of different E strings — I haven’t had good luck with gold ones, but I’m sure there will be other fiddlers who think differently.

I quite like the Evah Pirazzi’s, which I first tried on Will’s recommendation. I note, though that there’s a couple new sorts of Thomastik strings (the Vision series) out on the market and am wondering whether I should give those a try — they’re even pricier than the Pirazzi’s (which I like for their darker tone, responsiveness, and a certain velvety feel), though.

Anyone know anything about the new Vision series of strings?

They’re at http://www.swstrings.com/Store/Shopping.jsp?Category=Strings&SubCategory=Violin&Group=VIT100

Inquiring minds and all that…

Oh, and I forgot to say, my first set of Evah’s stayed on the fiddle for a dog’s age — six months or so. Lately, though, they last about a month to two months before they start losing it. That’s kinda harsh at those prices.

How about "Obligato" by Pirastro? I used Dominants, and they sounded good on my fiddle, but Obligatos sounded richer and sweeter, although a bit more expensive. Best set I’ve ever used.

Also consider Corelli Crystals, much cheaper but giving a well-balanced (if quieter) tone.

Jim

What’s the darkest of those, Jim? My fiddle is really really bright, so I’m always looking for a darker tone set of strings…

I’ve used Pirastro Tonica and also Synoxa. I liked them both and they lasted about as long as Dominants. I think the Synoxa were darker.

I use Infelds now and love them. They take a while to settle in but last a really long time.

Posted by .

Zina - definately the Corelli Crystals for a darker tone.

Jim

I’ve been using Pirastro’s Olive Gold E strings on both my fiddles for some time, in combination with either Infeld or Obligato. I’ve felt that that particular E string is too bright on my new fiddle, although it is perfectly balanced on my old fiddle - Will Harmon will know the instrument I’m referring to 🙂. So I’ve just been to Bristol Violin Shop for advice. The proprietor Nick Woodward told me that the Olive E is often too powerful and perhaps screechy for many fiddles and he’d recommend trying Pirastro’s Synoxa steel E - and at £2.11 it’s not going to break the bank (this month). I’ve just bought it and fitted it - problem now solved. The tone of this new E on my Jay Haide is now gentler and softer but still with sufficient carrying power.

Nick also said that if it didn’t work the alternative solution would be to move the soundpost fractionally towards the bass strings to reduce the E-string response a tad. Obviously, this would be a job for the skilled repairer, and not the average fiddle owner.
Trevor

Great — how’s the E on the Crystals, Jim?

As far as E strings go I prefer to use the Olive label gold E string alongwith either the rest of the set of Dominant strings or Pirastro Eudoxa strings depending which fiddle I’m using. I once tried the Pirastro Olive set but found it took nearly a fortnight for the strings to settle and once they had settled, they started to go false after about a week. For that week they sounded great but that’s a lot of money to pay for 7 days good sound.

Agree with Jim, Obligato have transformed the tone of my old fiddle and have a friend just changed hers too…….took no time to settle down and sound really good…took me a long time to spend the extra money but well worth trying.

Zina - the E on the Crystals is just below the F and just above the D#. 🙂

But really, it’s got a good a mellowish tone, not too loud. I’ve always thought that Crystals make a cheap, bright (or even harsh sounding) fiddle sound a bit sweeter, although there is a trade-off in less volume. They sound good too on a mid-to-good quality fiddle, although they wouldn’t fully unlock the potential of such an instrument.

I’d say to anyone experimenting with fiddles to use these strings as a benchmark for the instrument. And they’re cheap too. 10 out of 10 in my book for quality and value for money.

Jim

what about d’addario strings, which were put on my fiddle when it was set up a few months ago. I’d never heard of them, but they sound ok.

Don’t know what i’d do without you guys! Thanks, yet again, for your help.

I’ve just come across this Web page which describes how a dealer helped a student cellist to find the right set of strings for her instrument.

http://www.aitchisoncellos.com/trials.htm

Trevor