Seat Clogging

Seat Clogging

I hope it is OK that this is about Canadian fiddling….
I am trying to learn how to do French Canadian seat clogging while fiddling. I’be been watching videos of people like Pascal Gemme and they all seem to be starting the pattern on their left foot. Does anyone start on their right foot, or is it traditionally done starting on the left?

Re: Seat Clogging

I start with the heel of the right foot, toe of the right foot, toe of the left foot in a boom- chak- a- boom
pattern. I’ve watched the guys in Bottine Souriante and Orchestre Bebert but couldn’t really work out what they were doing, I think you have to find your own way. My main problem is being able to keep it up
for the duration of a set, my leg muscles are screaming after a couple of minutes. I don’t play fiddle
but it works ok with harmonica, accordian and mandolin. Bon chance!

As I remember, there should be a couple of older threads on site here, do a search. I think there was even a little notation as well. For searching try ‘stepping’? I have done an initial search but without much luck.

Here’s one, and choose whatever foot comes naturally for you, this is the ‘basic’ REPEAT STEP for reel time, 4 count:

1. ) STEP (with weight - can be flat or ball)
2. ) Heel (without weight)
3. ) Ball (with weight)
4. ) PAUSE!

Or, as given above ~

1. ) Heel (without weight)
2. ) Ball (with weight)
3. ) STEP (with weight - can be flat or ball)
4. ) PAUSE!

Clogging / Stepping while seated and playing

Did another search, but no luck yet finding that earlier thread or two…

Thank you for your replies! Would the people in the videos I’m watching be doing a more complicated version of what was posted above? It looks like they are doing Rheel, Lfoot, Rtoe, pause, Rheel, Lfoot, Rtoe, pause. They seem to be doing it on the eighth note beats of 1-and-2, pause, 3-and-4; with emphasis on beats 2 and 4 (for reels). This could be wrong, as I picked it up from videos where they play it pretty fast.