Identify the authors of Irish tunes

Identify the authors of Irish tunes

I need to find the names of composers who have written tunes that are part of my concert program. Can anyone help me, please?

Re: Identify the authors of Irish tunes

What are the tunes? If you post them here publicly, then more people will be able to help. Also, in case you haven’t already, check the comments in the Tunes database (but be sure to read them thoroughly, as incorrect information sometimes gets posted, which is then rectified by subsequent comments - and sometimes nobody can agree on the composer).

You may want to run them through Tunepal or do an ABC search as well since the title you have may not be the one given by the composer.

Just write ‘Traditional arrangement’? Unless you know specifically otherwise.

Anyone who takes offence, just apologise and thank them for their tune 🙂

Posted .

Slapdash.
Dead folk don’t take offence,
take the trouble to name the composers of the tunes you cherish.

Posted .

@Kilcash - That is what a lot of recording musicians do, but it is a lazy option. If the information is available, why not present it? If all avenues have been explored to no avail, then it is reasonable to mark it as ‘Trad.’ or ‘Unknown’. Perhaps if a tune appears in O’Neill, Roche or some earlier collection (without a composer credit) then it reasonable to assume it has no known composer. But for tunes that sound distinctly C20th or later, then it is, I think, a matter of decency to do some research into their composers (who could well still be living or only recently deceased).

I thought a certain tune was traditional until I got a copyright notice from YouTube when I put up a session clip that included it.

If you have a YouTube account, you could try recording and uploading each tune separately, to see what happens. Their computers analyze the sound of every single clip uploaded, looking for copyrighted material. Sometimes the claims are laughably bogus, but not always.

p.s. Here’s that discussion: https://thesession.org/discussions/34104

The Fiddler’s Companion is another source of information. Imperfect, I’m sure. But then, music authorship can be a murky thing, sometimes. But you should at least try, just because it’s the right thing to do.

(A bit off-topic, but interesting—look up the story of Sting, "Every Breath You Take," and P. Diddy’s "I’ll Be Missing You." Especially the part about the royalties.)

@ CMO - ‘That is what a lot of recording musicians do, but it is a lazy option.’

Yes maybe, but life is short 🙂 And it is a traditional approach or put another way, ‘an Irish solution to an Irish problem’. If a bit of googling doesn’t give a ready answer, then unless you’re a pedant, consider taking the practical well worn approach to these matters.

Posted .

ABC notation allows for a C:(composer) header and an H:(history) header but there is apparently no way to add those headers on The Session. I would use them if I could.

I dare say if you were to ask the webmaster that he’d have good reason not to include the C:(composer) header - too vague, too many claims and counter claims, you’d just be asking for lots of correspondence. KISS & let others figure it out, if they desire so.

Posted .

Thank you all for the info