French ABC-discussion Forum?

I was wondering if there is an ABC-discussion forum in French out there
dealing with French/Breton traditional tunes?? Thanx…..Jens

Re: French ABC-discussion Forum?

Moi non plus

Posted by .

Try http://domren.free.fr/IrlandeTradFR.html
It´s in French and is about Irish traditional music but you might get some leads as to where to find Breton music.
Bonne Chance!

try musique traditionelle ABC discussion
on your search, you’ll get loads of stuff

Posted by .

Thanx Cath, I’ve tried out all your links, but still I haven’t found
exactly what I wanted. It seems as if the French are more
fond of mailing lists than of online forums….

That’s the French for you, never have anything useful to say 🙂
Hope you find something though

Posted by .

Re: Hyphen discussion Forum?

10 out of 10 for the use of hyphens. Most people don’t bother with them.

Bonjour Jensis et tous. Je ne suis pas francais mais j’ai vecu en Bretagne il y a des annees. Maintenant je demeure dans mon pays natal,le nord-ouest d’angleterre d’ou je fais des pelerinages periodiques en Irlande. J’ai beaucoup apprecie la musique de Stivell a l’epoque mais en general je trouve la musique folklorique de la Bretagne un peu lourde en comparaison avec la musique traditionelle de l’Irlande que j’adore et essaie de jouer avec le mandolin.
I don’t know how to do the accents.

Billabey

Un peu lourde ??? grrrrr

What did you say !! Too Heavy my music culture ??? It’s always the same words for ignorants when they approach superficialy a music.( jazz, rock, bulgarian music….)
Excuse me but Stivell, is not THE BRETON music !

We’ve got + 500 dances differents and billions of tunes. How many tunes did you know to judge. Sorry, i play irish and breton music. It’s 2 music completly different.
And i don’t think so, we can compare 2 musics

For Jensis, there is no Forum for ABC breton tunes. Internet is new in Brittany, since 5 years, and it’s too early to have more than mailing list. A lot of bretons have just 56kbd speed and when they have this it’s good.
ADSL come in Brittany and a lot of website born everyday, so….be patient

Thanx, Mandolman. I guess I’d just have to sign up at some trad. forum. Actually I was thinking I could combine practicing my French and my hobby (european trad. music) using such a forum. I’m German by the way… probably our trad. music is one of the "heaviest" out there… 😉
About Breton music - is it true that there is a quarrel between the kan ha diskan singers and musicians using instruments such as bombarde..? Just heard a rumor about it..

oops sorry Mandolman Je m’excuse -no offence meant. and you are right I do not know much Breton music -i used to know all the verses of "Tri Materlots" and sang it in folk clubs in Salford! So, i am ready to learn a breton tune as part of my modest but growing repertoire of mandolin tunes. Any suggestions for a good starter tune? The problem is that I learn my tunes by ABC notation and the lack of breton tunes in ABX format is what triggered off this discussion.
Ken ar vo ar vechal

I agree with Billabey, Breton music is plodding - I think that’s what he really means. I’ve got a Celtic Fiddle Festival cd and I love the Irish and Scottish stuff but always skip the French tunes, they get on my nerves. I used to like Stivel but the best tune he ever played ‘king of the fairies’ - the first Irish tune I ever properly listened to. I only learnt it 28 years after hearing it.
My maternal grandfather was Breton but I’ve never felt any love for the place or the people - bunch of right wing racist royalists most of them. Pretty place though.

Posted by .

Jensis

A lot of Breton tune come from Kan ha Diskan ( it mean Sing and DisSing)

A lot tune are like in Irish Music

A-A
B-B and sometimes C-C

Listen on this site http://perso.wanadoo.fr/per.kentel/frame_khd.htm
And listen with the button Selaou
To have all the tunes go on "telecharger"

Mandolman, my auntie who lives in Brittany gave me two cds of traditional Breton music - repetitive dirges played on a migraine (French word!) inducing biniou (wee Breton pipes) and that plodding medieval beat. Even if you like the style, the melodies are very poor compared to Irish tunes. Biased moi?

Posted by .

Aaaahhh Cath. I’m gonna have to lend you some music and educate you on your own country’s music! Although I imagine some Bretons and Bretonnes might disagree with that last inference. You must listen to Kornog, Pennou Skoulm, Den, Gwerz or Carré Manchot (joke name) to hear Breton music in it’s current incarnation. Have fun!

Whoah Cath, I didn’t say all that. All I said was… but whatever. Mandolman I have taken your hyperlink tip and have downloaded An Dro 1. I shall work on it and report back. What does an Dro mean? Is that the Breton for the Irish Gan Ainm?

Great reactions here! You people will be defending French pop next 🙂
Well I’ll try and listen again to some Breton "tunes", but not making any promises.

Posted by .

Apparently my ancestors used to hang out in Bretagne, oppressing the peasants and whatnot(I think there’s even a Chateau du Plessis in the area), so I’d love to find out more… Jean Michel Veillon - where does he fit into all of this?

Posted by .

An Dro,is a dance like 500 other dances. But very famous because in 4/4 like reel.

A few breton tunes have a name. We know them just by ear ( like our ancestors the Celts) and it’s very funny to see a lot of breton who play irish music ( very well and recognised by the great irish player) just by ear and don’t know the name.

If you come in a Irish pub in Brittany,and say "please play the jig "Lark in the morning"", the breton look you with rolling eyes. And say,"i don’t know what it is". But O"K, i’ll play to you a jig"….and he’ll begin by this tune…lol

For Cath, ok you’ve got some bad musicians in Brittany and some time "Too many cooks spoil the broth "but, try famous group know or great master.

Jean Michel VEILLON
Skolvan
Arz Nevez
Bagad KEMPER (pipe band)
Soig Siberil
Denez Prigent
Guichen Quartet
Didier Squiban
Tud

ok

Posted by .

And don’t forget, some famous irish musicians try to play Breton music and a very few know play it.

The style is very very very important, not the notes. You can lose the notes never the style of the dance you play. That’s why, you can improvize with breton music

If you want to listen a pretty Breton tune follow this link, wait 1 minute and you’ll be in Avalon http://perso.wanadoo.fr/olivier.clerc/TriMen.mp3

I can only agree that Carre Manchot is a great band. And the
dances are intriguing. I’ve tried to dance some myself, it’s not
that I know many but the gavotte is great for instance. You’re
in this great line of ppl who all dance to this very special
rhythm dancing into spirales and then out of them again… go
to Brittany and try it out at one of the many Festou Noz (night
fiest/dance party)….