Tamlin

Tamlin

Hi All

Came across this version of tam lin on youtube (as you do!).

https://youtu.be/nBPrmUIypqU

I really like what she plays for the B part but is seems quite different to any versions of the tune that I’ve seen/heard before.

If anyone can figure out what she’s playing, I’d appreciate the help - my learning by ear skills aren’t quite up to the task

Cheers

P

Re: Tamlin

Very nice. A syncopated thing a bit like the second half of Frank’s, if you see what I mean. You could always run it through a slow-downer, Paul. As long as you do it in time to get yourself to Shaftesbury!

Posted by .

Too busy paractising today Chas..

sounds to me like
dcdA FDFA dcdA FDFA cEE cEE dE cEE cEE c(sharp)E
dcdA FDFA dcdA FDB,A, B,A,B,C DCDE FAGE FED2
then dcdA FDFA dcdA FDFA cEE cEE dE eEdE cEBE
dcdA FDFA dcdA FDB,A B,A,B,C, DCDE FAGE FED2

That ought to be the gist of it anyway.

I’m hearing a similar thing too … but I’m hearing a c# after the first d, and not a c nat. I found it tricky to get the exact notes because of the clackaracket etc going on ๐Ÿ™‚

I think she plays it a little differently each time, but I think outwesht is hearing the same little ‘shuffle’ as me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0df36hvj45cm027/tam-linn.JPG?dl=0

Thank you both!

How did she sync them up? In-ear mics?

… or by using the headphones, cunningly disguised as a hairband ๐Ÿ™‚

If you are having trouble learning from a YT video by ear, then it is worth pointing out that you can slow down most videos now without ever leaving YouTube. Click the "options" tab at the bottom of the video and there will be a tab where you can select the speed, and you can slow it down to .5 or even .25 speed, which may help to give a better idea of what you are hearing.

Very nicely done! Thanks for posting. (Using a little bit of "Le Vent Du Nord" foot percussion is a nice touch ๐Ÿ™‚ ) Her B part is actually not all that different from some other performers I’ve heard. You can basically break the B part into arpeggiated chords (as played in d-min): two measures of d-min, two of C-maj (first inversion), two of d-min followed with a bit of an a-min flurish back to the d-tonic. With this in mind you can come up with your own ideas. On hammered dulcimer, I basically play the chords straight on the beat with the left hand, and add lots of hammer rolls with the right to make it sound like I’m playing a lot more notes than I really am.