Octogenarian

Octogenarian

A few days ago I changed my religion to ‘Octogenarian’. Somehow I don’t feel like an old git, but now I’m wondering if there are any others of the same persuasion on the Session. Surely I’m not the only one……?

Re: Octogenarian

well many happy returns, growing old is a privilege not a right they say so i hope i get to join the club in another 28 yrs! 🙂 cheers

When someone asks my age, I just tell them "Pleistocene".

Happy birthday! Mine is tomorrow (64!). Six years retired and living the good life. You give me hope that there is much to look forward to. Keep on keeping on, my friend!

Posted by .

Dylan was 75 yesterday. Happy birthday, Free Reed.

Posted by .

10 years behind you, getting old is not for wimps!

Many happy returns! 80 is the new 40.

Liking yer post Free Reed. I was medically retired 7 years ago, officially became a pensioner a year ago, will become 66 in a few weeks time. I’m hoping to drag the bow for another 20 years God willing. Plough on doing what yer doing!

Congratulations and many happy returns, Free Reed. I’ve been given to understand that the first 80 years are the hardest.

Happy Birthday Free Reed! I’m quite a ways behind you, but each year seems to fly by a little quicker than the last so I may catch up with you yet. 😉

Congrats Free Reed. I’d advise not to focus on the ‘80’, but just being
the best you can be and letting the age take care of itself in the background.
At any rate, that’s what I’m trying to do at 61. I decided to take up barbell
weight training a few months ago along with the fiddling and other stuff.

"Surely I’m not the only one……?"

Looks like it 🙂

Posted .

Tom Paley, who is well into his octogenarianism, is still playing fiddle in London, at folk clubs and old-timey sessions, although his shoulder is giving him a bit of gyp lately.

Thank you fellow travellers for your greetings much appreciated At my birthday party I had the honour of being presented by my family with a Finn Harper drawing of me playing the box. Finn is gradually making a name for himself as an artist and he is also a fine trad box player. Just watch him draw a portrait of the great Luke Kelly on this U Tube clip
https://youtu.be/HT_4FmZFL_w

A belated Happy Birthday Free Reed. Keep up the good work!

"We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
- George Bernard Shaw

I turned 65 yesterday. In the hospital. After surgery on my left hand for an infected cat bite. No playing for a very long time and perhaps never. A lousy way to start the remainder of my life.

I apologize for my last entry. My state of mind should not have dragged down the joy of Free Reed’s change of status. A belated Happy Birthday to you sir.

I wish you well, like can be such a bitch at times, but where there’s life there’s hope… Thank you for your greetings…………have you still got the cat????..

Yep - still got the cat. She’s a sweetheart: http://ocicat.wildrain.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/owld.jpg
During the 14 hour drive home from where we got her she used the carrier rather than the cat box. When we got home, she just didn’t appreciate the need for a bath and she bit me on the left hand. That got infected and on the 22nd, the surgeon opened up the hand from the little finger to the wrist. A bit of scraping and flushing and the infection is gone but the possibility for nerve and tendon damage still exists. My little finger is a long way from normal but things seem a bit less hopeless today. I did manage to play the guitar a bit on things that don’t require the left finger too much. There is a moral here I suppose. If you’ve written and performed a lot original material - get it recorded - life may take you in directions you simply do not want to go in. It was bad enough last year when three bones where removed from the left hand because I had the wrist collapse from falling on my hands 11 years ago. Another thing to note there. If you fall, don’t use your hands to break the fall. In my case, I should’ve just fallen on my head - it doesn’t seem to get much use anyway. At any rate, I have high hopes that I can recoup at least 95% of my hands functionality eventually which is a cumulative 80% after the proximal row carpectomy of last year. The guitar is one thing though. On the other things I play like the mandolin, banjo and bouzouki, I use the little finger a lot and I’m just not certain as to how that may work out in the long run. It sounds counter-intuitive to consider yet another instrument when I already have more than I can play well but a box doesn’t appear to use the left hand to the same extent as my fretted collection. I might let the fretted collection go in favor of a button-box and/or a keyboard. I use to have a blazing fast right hand on the piano and that might serve me well if I need to make that change. I’m a few months away from making a decision on that score though.