The Napkin

The Napkin

Hi there-

I’m trying to find the song called " The Napkin" A concertina friend plays it.
Does anyone know where it might be found? Under another name?

Thanks!

Re: The Napkin

You can find it at any restaurant. It is usually found in a box on the tables. Sometimes there is more than one! 😉

Posted by .

that’s not funny. I was specifically told the name of the song was "The Napkin" and it goes with a set I really love.
If I have the name some how wrong could someone help me out?
Thanks!

Laura is it truly a song? That is, something you sing? What are the words? Or do you mean it’s an Irish tune? they are different things, you know. If you do indeed mean a tune, do you recall what type — reel, polka, jig, air etc? Knowing that detail could help. For whatever it’s worth, I’ve never heard of a tune by this title and I think you probably misheard in the noisy pub, just as you did with "Bill O Hearts." Maybe it was something like "Tam Lin"?

‘The Napkin’ doesn’t sound like a traditional Irish tune title, but I could be wrong. It could be a local humorous name for a tune like An Súisín Bán (The White Blanket). Or maybe it’s a recent composition.

Good luck!

"The Napkin" and it goes with a set I really love." - might help if we knew the other tunes in the set. The more information you give us, the more we’re likely to be able to help.
That’s a very good guess, Joe - "Napkin" = "Tam Lin", makes sense. Also strikes me , "The Shaskeen" ?

Posted by .

There are some possibilities, but you need to give us some better context.

1) as has been asked, is it a song (with words), or do you only have it as a instrumental tune? Any more of the words can help place it.

2) what tradition might it be from? For instance, there are some songs in Italian folk (hey, there’s even an "accordion fold" for napkins), Scottish, English, etc. some that have napkins (or handkerchiefs, often a substituted use) in them.

3) as also has been asked, other tunes in the set might help place it.

4) where is it played? Is there a locale, session, etc. where it appears?

5) Tunes are often known by many names. "The Napkin" is not one I’ve heard, but your friend might have it as a translation or nickname for a tune known by a different name (or in a different language).

6) Any genre mentioned with it? By which I mean, a sailor’s song, or?

7) could your friend play & record it? There are a couple of good ears on this site that could possibly identify it then.

Sample lyric: "let us see where the napkin you’ll throw"

I don’t know if it’s the tune you’re looking for, but here are the basic dots for the tune in the video.
http://www.blackfordfiddlers.org.uk/webfiles/Tunes/Napkin%20Tune.pdf

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the name comes from the composer, Rodney Miller, writing it down on a napkin as it came to him, and never coming up with another name.