Paddy Fahey Tune compositions

Re: Paddy Fahey Tune compositions

I saw this and just had to check what the tune list for the cassette says and sure enough:

Paddy Fahey’s Reel no. 1
Paddy Fahey’s Reel no.2
Paddy Fahey’s Reel no.3
Paddy Fahey’s Reel no.4

But seriously thanks for the link, the thesis looks like an interesting read and hopefully the University of Limerick will distribute the recordings.

In September 2015 I convinced the UL Library to digitise the audio cassette tapes accompanying Maria’s thesis, but was dismayed at the poor quality of the end product. The tapes are worn out and evidently the library didn’t make archival copies of the recordings before lending them out. Quoted from our correspondence:

" I’ve checked the cassette and the problem starts there, it has been played to bits and is worn from timer 49.26. We also managed to put up side 2 in the last few minutes but there will be similar problems …"

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone copied these tapes when they were still in decent condition. The ITMA in Dublin didn’t appear to have copies when I last searched their holdings online.

I got this email back from UL "We have withdrawn the file while we make some enquiries about the copyright. If we can make it available I will update you."

Thanks Bazza - looks great source for Paddy Fahy’s tunes

Posted by .

A further note: Maria Holohan’s settings of Paddy Fahey tunes in her 1996 thesis are supplemented by a few tunes by other players in the same ‘East Galway’ style. They are: Coen’s Memories, Eddie Kelly’s Jig, Eddie Kelly’s Reel No 1, Madam if You Please, The Meelick Team Jig, Paddy Kelly’s Reel, and Tommy Coen’s Reel. Settings of these can be found as above.

Posted by .

Didier, thanks very much for this post as I have been hunting around for it.
John

Maria Holohan’s transcriptions

In Maria’s thesis, between the jig #6 and #8 there is no jig #7 on page 283 but, instead, the reel #7 which is already present on page 247…
If somebody can get in touch with Maria, ask her and let us know…