Programmable Bodhran Accompaniment

Programmable Bodhran Accompaniment

I have been told that there exists programmable bodhran accompaniment software. I hate metronomes, but would love to have a rhythm track with speed control to pace my playing. Any insights?

Re: Programmable Bodhran Accompaniment

I think there is a Bodhran album by Mark Stone on iTunes . It lists rhythms so presumably it’s just tracks that could be played along to.

Posted by .

@winterparcmarc - I have some rhythm tracks (real drums, not bodhran) if you want them.

They are for jigs/reels, and the tempo range is 80-130 bpm.

Send me a message if interested.

Yes, the Mark Stone album is primarily tracks to play along with. There are 4 other tracks - 2 songs and 1 each with fiddle or flute. With the right player you could vary the tempos. I enjoy playing along with it.

Thanks very much. I will check the Mark Stone album and get with you, Jim, if that does not work out. Cheers.

You could get the CD:

Masterclass Celtic Beat Traditional Music From Ireland A Bodhran Tutorial by Ray Gallen for Intermediate and Accomplished Players

The bodhran is on one track, and the tunes are on the other track of the stereo recording in case you want to isolate the bodhran. If you have software that can slow down the tune, such as Amazing Slowdowner, Audacity, or Microsoft Media Player, you could adjust the speed as you like.

The playing includes numerous jigs, reels, polkas, hornpipes, and other types of tunes.

Posted by .

You can (unfortunately?) mimic a bodhran in abc notation by adding a line or two of midi code and changing every note in the tune to "A,". I’ve tried it, it works and it’s just about the saddest way to accompany oneself I can think of.

There should be a prize for seminal catchphrases like this, "… real drums, not bodhran."

Posted by .

Easier than Callison’s suggestion, and for brief amusement you can play your tune using MIDI in ABC Navigator, click on the "Patch" button and choose Timpani, Woodblock, Synth Drum, Bird tweet(!), gunshot (!!) or, my favourite when I just tried it out for the first and last time, Taiko Drum. Choose "loop" and there will be no end to the fun!

[*There should be a prize for seminal catchphrases like this, "… real drums, not bodhran."*]

Where can I collect this prize of which you speak? 🙂

Just for the record, the real drums are not played by a warm body, but handcrafted using Acoustica Beatcraft software.

And that My Lord, sums up the case for the Prosecution ….

Yes, handcrafted by me, so guilty as charged 🙂